• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On board air co2 system question

Trbocharg

NAXJA Forum User
I rented this helium tank and paid 50 bucks deposit... It’s been like a year later and I have been too lazy to return it. (Guess I own it now)
My question is can this be used for an OBA co2 system and if so what other components will I need?
2cxhqm9.jpg

2lvy529.jpg

34j4ndh.jpg

I would think not. Not only does it have the wrong valve on it (gasses uses different valve, so they don't get mixed up..) but the tank is probably not rated for "cryo" - which is what you need for when you store gasses as liquids.

CO2 is stored as a liquid at room temperature - due to the pressures involved. Helium can't be liquefied due to conventional pressures, and you have to chill it to about 470 below zero Fahrenheit to liquiefy it due to temperatures.

While the tank can probably handle the pressure used (~800 psi, as I recall,) it would probably fail due to temperature.

However, this would still be worth checking out - take it to a carbonics place and ask them, since they deal with compressed gasses all the time.

5-90

I paid $42.89 for a used 20# CO2 cylender at air gas. any welding shop should have them for rent (what my Dad does) and for sale.

My Dad rents his because of how infrequent he needs it but he still had to buy the regulator and such. His rental is $5.00 a month plus whatever CO2 he used.

I get my 20# filled for about $14

I wouldnt chance using that tank since if you look around you can get a CO2 cheap. But the hellium could be fun

Yeah, so I guess I am stuck with this useless bottle.
Well thanks for the answers
Maybe I could use it as a tank for compressed air or maybe ill just leave it by the curb.

Use it for compressed air - the working pressure should be marked on the bottle somewhere, or a CGA or DoT number which can be looked up.

You may end up needing to change the valve and/or regulator, but you should be able use it with regular compressed gas up to the working pressure, as long as it doesn't liquify. Compressed air is good for that.

That tank isn't entirely useless - you can either use it for compressed air, or just recycle it as scrap metal (looks like it's aluminum, and a couple pounds or so...)

5-90

Back