• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cowl Drain for drivers side?

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I had been getting water in my drivers side floor pan every time it rained. Today I took a hose and laid it on the hood and let the water flow onto the cowl in front of the windshield at the drivers side. I got into the jeep and saw the water rushing it, it was coming in behind the fuse block on the firewall.

I shut the water off and lifted the hood. It looks like the cowl is filling with water, then the water is running out of the hood hinge hole, onto the electrical connector that goes into the firewall just behind the fuse block. I used some roofing tar to seal off the electrical connector..

Now to my question. Is there a single drain for both sides of the cowl?

IMGA0531.jpg

That's looking inside the cowl area towards the drivers side fender. You can see the black space in the corner which is quite a large drain that goes into the inside of the drivers fender and drains out there. I would check that corner as there's probably something built up blocking it right there.

thank you for making the effort to take a picture. Are you looking into the cowl with the cowl cover removed? I think that possibly the "pool noodle" that I have shoved up in the fender is blocking the drain. I don't have any inner fenders.. that's why I use a pool noodle.. I pulled it down a bit up in the top corner....

I'll do the water hose test again soon.

The cowl is supposed to drain on both sides. On mine it will evacuate water as fast as it enters. If you didn't close off anything in the inner fender doing repairs or something then you probably a birds nest or something. You'll need to pull the fender and poke stuff free.

Yah that's a sideways upside down shot looking into the cowl area. The opening is all the way to the drivers side in the front corner. If you've pulled your fenders off before there's a space there that has another piece of metal welded on creating a 1" or so gap between it and the body that the hole drains into. I doubt the pool noodle would cause it to seal up unless you shoved it up pretty high that blocked off the two big holes already there. I'd take off the cover and run just a small amount of water in it then reach in there and feel around to see if the hole's blocked or not.

Back