• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PRECISION brand hub assemblies?

How much is your time and effort worth when you have to replace the cheap hubs again in 15-20,000 miles ?

Timken hubs are the preferred replacement because they will last nearly as long the the factory original hubs. My time = money so I only use Timken hubs on my Cherokees.

Just replaced both hubs in our 98 xj last weekend. Used National brand (NAPA or O'Rielly) sells them here in the midwest.

They looked good & was the best quality (& warrantee) they offered. Could have done it cheaper, but it ran ~ 250.00 total for both sides.

I've heard of the brand but like the others, I stick with quality name brand parts whenever working on my XJ.

Just too many stories of premature failure with no-name stuff......

Price is only 1 consideration, and for me.....it's down the list a bit when selecting replacement parts.

Hey guys,
Yeah trust me Id rather stick with good ol american TIMKEN.But I REALLY miss my JEEP,gotta get er goin!Sometimes PRICE is REALLY hard to pass up!Why the hell did they have to go all 'non-rebuildable' on us? I would just go down to my local bearing shop and get stuff to rebuild them for WAY less than the price of ONE!!!What does it take to convert to pre-'90 bearings anyway?!Buying things that I KNOW are made in china REALLY bugs me,especially since their generals have threatened to NUKE US on more than one occassion,while we finance the whole thing!!! But you cannot hardly find things that are not made there anymore!!!!

For the price they are getting for the Timkens, go for the known. The crappy bearings will fail 5 times before the Timken bearings. Buy one of each and change both sides - see how much longer the Timkens last. Their pricing is very good, BTW.

Mark

Get the Timkens from Amazon.com. Cost is $82 for each side. Much better than the $120 each that other places are asking.

Timken are VERY GOOD, but the factory original brand can be bought 'aftermarket' out there as well. Found on Q-tec, Jeep4x4center.com, etc. p/n 53007449 for 90-99 1/2* & 53007449AC for 99 1/2*2000/2001. The factory ones last a long time, that's why I'd recommend using what is already proven. Otherwise, Timkens are also a great choice.

Also, make sure you torque to spec (175ft-lbs on that giant 36mm nut) otherwise you are either putting too much pressure on the bearings or not enough, either one will result in excessive wear.

Get the Timkens, Rock Auto sells them for less than 100 a piece.

Not to argue about the quality of Timken, however of y'all that like to pound your chest and yell "Buy American", may well want to look closely at a box on Timken bearings.
They're made all over the place, not particular in America ;)

:)
Fred

Yeah its sad how even all the good ol american companies are doin that! If a competitor does it they HAVE to or else go outta buisness getting hammered on price cause the sheeple dont care about anything else!!!

The only other option you have is to do the warn hub conversion... its a nice kit, and uses "old style" bearings, but if you want to stay 5 on 4.5, you are limited to the ford ttb style hubs. However, I had them on my ranger for a while before converting to the Dana 30, and never had a problem with the Warn hubs. If you dislike the unit bearings so bad, thats really the only thing you can do.

By the way, I have had very good luck getting used ones from the junk yard, and they are dirt cheap there, so you can get about 5 for the price of one. As long as they are on a newer stock vehicle, chances are they are just fine and will last a long time. But, I am a cheap ass sometimes lol, and I just can't justify spending all that money on a part that isn't as good as the factory stuff.

Back