• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix engine swap, shopping list?

WrenchMonkey

NAXJA Member #771
NAXJA Member
Swapping a crate engine into my 200k mile '89 XJ. Straight renix-to-renix, AW4.

What should I reuse, what should I replace?

I'm planning on new sensors: TPS, CPS, O2 and MAP. I thought the cam sensor was part of the distributor, but Advance lists a "distributor pickup," #ME61P. Is that what I need? I can't imagine their $54 dizzy includes the $55 pickup.

A water pump is a given. Might as well do the alt and starter. Hoses and vacuum lines, too. Fuel injectors, I guess...

I guess I'll reuse the intake and exhaust manifolds, fuel rail, stuff like that.

What else? I'm drawing a blank... It's late and I'm tired...

Help!

And thanks... :D

Robert

IAC, Coolant temp sensor (under the manifold), coolant gauge temp sensor (at the rear of the head on the driver's side), manifold temp sensor, EGR, knock sensor, CPS, CCV tubes, all vacuum lines, and catalytic converter.

Those are just the ones that come to mind. If you're still running OEM (and original to your Jeep) on any of the above, it'd probably be worth it to replace them.

I looked at the Advanced site and the dist says w/o (without) module so you will need the pickup.

Since you've dropped a wad on the engine, I'd replace all sensors as suggested before, but save the old, known good ones as spares.

Change the grommets in the valve cover for the CCV, O-rings on the oil filter adapter, and bolts ( to grade 8) holding the engine mount brackets to the block.

I looked at the Advanced site and the dist says w/o (without) module so you will need the pickup...

But the pickup is the cam sensor, right? And if I'm buying the sensor separately, do I really need a new dizzy?

:dunno:

Robert

Yes, it's the same. My parts guide called it the stator. It's also the Camshaft Position Sensor.

As for the dist, depends on why you need one? If just for the the sensor, maybe not. Check the play in the shaft and the orings. However, again, given the amount of money you're already spending, if you got the $$, get the new dist.

Well, I lucked into the engine with a parts rig. It's essentially a windfall.

Very little on mine is a "known good," it died six weeks ago. I've got gas and spark, but no fire: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1021082

So while I don't have a whole lot of money to throw at it, I am reluctant to reuse too much, and reinfect the new engine with my mystery bug...

Robert

Back