• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Save yourself $100 - starter interchange

IllianaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I had to put a starter on my 2001 today. Local price for a reman was $169. Out of curiosity I checked the price on a starter for a 93, and it was $69. The only differences between the two are insignificant enough that they will interchange.

The body of the 93 starter (Advance P/N 16848) is about 1" longer than the 01 starter (P/N 17689). There was plenty of clearance on my 2001 for the longer body.

The solenoid wire connection on the 01 is a plug, whereas the 93 is a ring terminal. Just snip the plug off, crimp on a ring terminal and it bolts right up.

This may already be known to some of you, but I just wanted to pass the savings along to someone else who may not.

Edit: This applies to the 4.0 only.

right on man, i might be having to buy a new starter today for my 99 so thanks for the heads up!

i just looked up the starters for an 89 and 96 and they are the same part number as the 93. So looks like they could work from any year :)

I've been playing with starters this year, after the one in my 99 went bad. There is a difference in the main connector between the 89 and the 95, and you may have to bend an 89 to fit in a 95, but the body will physically fit. A 95 starter will go into a 99 with no fuss. I would hesitate to get a Renix era starter for an HO era engine owing to that terminal issue, but I don't think you'll go wrong after 91. The push-on terminal of the later starter is attached to the same stud that the ring terminal of the earlier one uses, so you can just swap that part over if you prefer that to cutting the wire on the later vehicle.

If you're trying to mix and match starter internal bits, you should also know that the Renix era starters are internally different, with a different end cap and brush design, so you can't rob pieces from one to fix the other.

Autozone has the starter for a 97 as a 16848 (same as a 93). It seems that 98 also calls for the 16848. So the change over was for the 99 model year.

I've been playing with starters this year, after the one in my 99 went bad. There is a difference in the main connector between the 89 and the 95, and you may have to bend an 89 to fit in a 95, but the body will physically fit. A 95 starter will go into a 99 with no fuss. I would hesitate to get a Renix era starter for an HO era engine owing to that terminal issue, but I don't think you'll go wrong after 91. The push-on terminal of the later starter is attached to the same stud that the ring terminal of the earlier one uses, so you can just swap that part over if you prefer that to cutting the wire on the later vehicle.

If you're trying to mix and match starter internal bits, you should also know that the Renix era starters are internally different, with a different end cap and brush design, so you can't rob pieces from one to fix the other.

'S why I never said anything about swapping innards - not doable. But, if the mount didn't change, and the output requirement didn't change (pinion profile or power output,) most of the problem is already solved!

Back