• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Center Console

Masty9

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

My XJ is very basic and does not have a center console (just freely exposed hand brake).

Has anyone ever installed an OEM or other center console into their XJ? I really just want something to lean on as I drive and maybe some cup holders.

I have looked for parts at junk yards, but they always seem to have already been taken apart and I am not sure exactly which parts I need to gather or how to install them.

Any advice would be helpful.

PM Bdiddy11. We just pulled a Tuffy security console out of a '96. It is grey.

Find something being parted out and grab it all. Anything from 1984-1996 will bolt up easily, and the 1997+ can also be made to fit with a fair bit of work. The earlier models don't have integrated cupholders, but retrofitting the later style is a pretty big project.

I would say an aftermarket security console would be best. Or find a nice later model centerconsole. It really is not that difficult to install. The hardest part is deciding whether to use the newer park brake lever, or remove some material from the console to use your existing handle.

Well, I can't really seem to find any decent aftermarket consoles.

I really do like the '97+ OEM center consoles, anyone know what would need to be done to fit into my '96? I see that the hand brake would not line up, is there a solution to that? Anything else I should know?

Back