• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rms ?

fasteddieyj

NAXJA Forum User
Got the pan and bearing cap off tonight, but the upper half won't budge. In fact I bent 3 different brass drifts. I remember reading that loosening some of the other bearing caps is often needed to remove the top part of the seal. My question is how many of the other caps should or can I loosen and how much should I loosen them?

Well, you CAN loosen them all.. do you need to? Probably not. Loosen up a couple and try again.

This might help, it's worked for others.

I FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Driving a small screwdriver between the block and the outer part of the seal did the trick. I worked the screwdriver in on side and then the other and then the first side again and then the second side again. After that it only took about 5 hits and slid right out!
Thanks to Rafa and everyone else for their input!

... you used a screwdriver?!

You probably scraped up your crank or bearings/block :(

Ok, so I got the old seal out. Had to loosen all the bearing caps and hit it with the largest brass drift I had a few times on each side till it broke free. Now the new one won't go all the way in. I can get it 1/2 way with one finger and then it just stops and won't budge. I tried turning the crank with a ratchet while pushing on it but no go. I even ruined the first one by pushing so hard that it deformed it. Any thoughts. This thing needs to get done. I already missed out on this snow storm and now there's another one coming this week that I don't want to miss. TIA.

idk if its the same as a freeze plug, but you could try freezing it so it shrinks, then while its super cold push it in there.
Hadn't really thought about that one. Being rubber though I'm not sure how much it would shrink. Guess it's worth a shot though.

Grab some spray silicone. Now, be careful with that crap, it can destroy o2 sensors.

Away from the vehicle spray the upper RMS with the silicone. put the seal in place, and have an assistant turn the engine slowly while you assist the seal into place.

The rear bearing cap has what looks to be a rubber seal in it. I initially thought it was more rtv and scraped at it. It got a pretty decent gouge in it before I realized what it was. Am I screwed? I'm thinking a little black rtv between it and the oil pan gasket should make an ok seal. Any thoughts?

Grab some spray silicone. Now, be careful with that crap, it can destroy o2 sensors.

Away from the vehicle spray the upper RMS with the silicone. put the seal in place, and have an assistant turn the engine slowly while you assist the seal into place.
The silicone worked great. I did have to spray it directly in the passage for the seal, but I only used a little and it slid right in place. Thanks Joe.

The silicone worked great. I did have to spray it directly in the passage for the seal, but I only used a little and it slid right in place. Thanks Joe.

Glad you got R done! :party:

The rear bearing cap has what looks to be a rubber seal in it. I initially thought it was more rtv and scraped at it. It got a pretty decent gouge in it before I realized what it was. Am I screwed? I'm thinking a little black rtv between it and the oil pan gasket should make an ok seal. Any thoughts?
Please disregard this post as I apparently became retarded for a while this afternoon.

Please disregard this post as I apparently became retarded for a while this afternoon.

Afternoon Tardness is the first sign of Oldsheimer's disease.

Back