• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 motor and aw4 tran into 1997 xj problems

shrimpinking

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I finished dropping a 1998 xj 4.0L into a 1997 xj. The car cranks and starts fine but i have pulled a few codes regarding emissions (p0443). It seems that the problem is coming from the electrical wiring. I have transfered the transmission computer with the wiring since its been mentioned to be different in the two years. Now though, the p0443 code is popping up with the p0700 and p0705. My only guess to this, is that the interior wiring harness for the fuse block has different wiring inputs. has anyone come across this problem? i am stooped and could use some help. Thanks

You can also put the stock TCU back in and then swap out the tailhousing on the transmission as well as the output speed sensor (on the tailhousing) and its rotor, but the snap ring holding the rotor down was a real pain in the butt for me so I switched back. Sounds like your NSS is screwed up - that's P0700 or P0705 iirc. Not sure about the others, try fixing the NSS and then clearing the codes, see if they stay cleared?

EDIT: the P0443 is for the evap purge control solenoid, which is very close to the transmission dipstick tube and NSS+transmission wire connectors by the firewall on the passenger side. Maybe you disturbed it, disconnected something, or broke it while working on the transmission cabling?

Back