• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my dianostics of the front end

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
while having my wife turn the wheel and me under there, looking trying not to get any dripping oil in my eye I couldn't help but to think I dont know what a problem would even look like so I started pulling on things as she turn them and things felt pretty sturdy.
the TRE ROD connected to the drag link that goes to the PITMAN arm...... is it suppose to have any movement in it at all!!!! because mines moved slightly but only as she turned the wheel and i yank on the thing a few times it will move a real real little...
also by sight.... I see the sway bar going from side to side the U shaped one that holds to the body down there with 2 links on the ends
that seemed to go with the motion of the wheels turning (side to side) it would move (just sliding through the bushing) not heavy moving side to side but it still moves
I dont know if its designed to do it or not
and the axel itself seems to move slightly with the motion of the tires
????????
Thanks in advance guys

P.S I didnt buy the whole bushing kit instead I brought LCA and engine mounts

Yes, the axle will move slightly.

Maybe if you tell us what kind of xj you've got and the problem you've got we can tell you different spots to focus your attention on and what to look for.

The axle should be "secured" by two UCA and two LCA and the track bar. I don't know how much axle movement you are seeing, but any movement from just turning the wheel will be magnified when driving.

TRE shouldn't be moving.

When slowly moving the steering wheel you should be able to pick out those pieces of the steering that are not responding to the wheel movement. Use a bright light and keep checking.

the axel actually seems to slightly go the way the wheel turns again I mean slightly i have to really be watching to even notice it,

I was told buy a couple og guys on here that I needed to go under there and see if my TRE that connects to the pitman arm was loose but it had barely any movement I did notice a tad but of movement as my girl turned the wheel and i pulled down on it, but i couldn't get it to happen more than once.
then since I sometimes feel like my front end is every where while im driving
figured i better give a good look down there.

Probably the symptom that got his attention was when the front wheel left while in motion last week after making noises.

There is a bar called the track bar that you haven't talked about yet. That is supposed to keep the axle from moving from side to side. It runs from the axle up to the body running mostly straight sideways. It should not have any play in either end. One end is a bushing, the other is like a tie rod end ball joint. If this is shot, your steering will seem to wander.

Back