• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep steering question?

chris_conant

NAXJA Forum User
0204000932.jpg

Bent Tie rod. I was going to replace tie rod and drag link with ones off of a jeep grand cherokee v8. Was told it is a lot stronger and it is a very cheap swap. Has anyone done this. Opinions?

I was going to replace tie rod and drag link with ones off of a jeep grand cherokee v8. Was told it is a lot stronger and it is a very cheap swap. Has anyone done this. Opinions?

It will bolt on like the stock one, but it's much heavier duty. How much lift do you have? You might not want stock style steering anyway.

Mine has one. It is way more beefy than the factory toothpick! I say go for it, you can pick them up for CHEAP. Go ahead and get you some good Napa or Moog TRE's to go on there. What kind of wheeling do you do? If you do a lot of rocks I would suggest going with something like the IRO tie rod. Its 1.25 Solid stock and I may be wrong but i think it accepts Dodge truck TRE's which are way stronger than the stock ones but are a direct fit.

Bent Tie rod. I was going to replace tie rod and drag link with ones off of a jeep grand cherokee v8. Was told it is a lot stronger and it is a very cheap swap. Has anyone done this. Opinions?
Just did this a month or two ago, figured I should anyways and I needed to reset my toe-in so I did both at the same time. My semi-local junkyard wanted ten bucks for the V8 ZJ tie rod so I went for it. Works great on the street, haven't been offroad with it so I can't tell you much there, but it's solid rod stock about 1"+ in diameter vs the stock ~3/4" diameter tubing, and the TREs are a good deal larger too. Can't be beat for the money.

It will bolt on like the stock one, but it's much heavier duty. How much lift do you have? You might not want stock style steering anyway.

running 5.5" lift. I have looked into changing steering but want something cheap and better for the time. As far as wheelin goes usual do not get into rocks as much. But at times it does happen.

zj draglink is the same size as the 91 and up xj.

zj drag link is only an upgrade on the 84-90 xj.

zj tie rod is an upgrade on all xjs

Nice thanks for the info. For the price I cant pass it up. Needs to be done and dont have the funds right now for anything else

0213001253.jpg

Just put it the grand cherokee tie rod on. A lot better then stock xj and cheap

Back