• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"super-stock" builds

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
i've searched on and off for a few months looking for builds that are focused on keeping a Cherokee as stock as possible but improving performance offroad.

Kind of like a Low CoG build, but without much cutting at all.

Can anyone point me in that direction or post links?

I'm gathering parts, but am still deciding what I want to do overall. I'd really like my truck to look stock, but surprise with its ability offroad. I'm also planning some trips where I'd want the rig to attract as little attention as possible. (mexico/South America/Parkway Plaza Mall, etc)

I've got these things sorted:

-winch bumper/front recovery points
-hitch/rear recovery points
-CB/2m install
-OBA
-Rear storage
-stock front skid
-Camping gear/Shade-Rain awning

I'm thinking:
-8.25 to replace d35
-aussie/detroit rear
-LSD or aussie front
-Adj. HD control arms/mounts(mostly for strength and flex)
-rear sway bar delete
-JKS quickers up front
-maybe stock spline alloy axles
(for ultimate piece of mind, but retaining ability to use junkyard spares if need be. Likely not needed though)
-Tera-low 4:1 gears
-Snorkel (can't do cowl, has to be smog-legal)
-hood vents
-alternator relocation
-dual battery
-minimalist/tucked interior cage
-low-pro/removable roofrack (I have 3 kids, need the space)
-full skid plates/frame stiffeners/diff covers
-HD springs to keep the truck near stock ride height (or around 1-2" over stock) after all equipment
is attached.
-longer shocks that allow more droop and uptravel?

Anyone seen this type of build where the truck looks stock, but is a surprising performer? This is my dd, fyi. 1992 4.0 laredo aw4, np231, hp/d30 d35.

I'm running 235 70 r15 now, but understand my rig to have been shod with 75's from the factory. I'd consider 30x9.5's in the BFG AT flavor to be my first choice.

and yeah, I'd thought about an NV241, too, thanks for reminding me...Don't know
much about that install though? Trying to stay away from installing a non-stock rear driveshaft, unless its a H&T using a front d-shaft in the rear or similar.

can i grab an nv241 w/ shaft and have it bolt up to an 8.25?

I believe with the 241 all you need is to replace the front yoke with one that will connect to the t-case. You will want to measure the new shaft and make sure it wont compress to far in to damage it.
And, I believe as far as the intake goes, if you keep the stock airbox and run a tube to the cowl it is still legal?

So you are going for something like this:

S7300761.jpg

I have ~2" of lift, 31's. Front,t-case and rear skids and OEM hitch to be installed soon along with my sliders from the last Jeep. Going for the Low COG DD Expo/wheeling rig.

The list of further upgrades I am thinking are:
Lockers front and rear
some sort of sleeping platform
upper and lower quarter guards(or cut and fold the lower quarters)
Maybe a 2m setup
Upgrade to H4 housings(Autopals and Heavy duty harness on the way)
Upgrade to HID when money allows
5-90 battery cables
4.10 D30/ 8.8 swap
Other stuff I am forgetting will be done too!

Upgrades completed:
spicer 760 u-joints
ZJ steering
thrush welded muffler
Surco rack
Cobra CB
Wilson antenna w/firestik mount
Diehard platinum battery

Last edited:
yup, very much along the lines of what I was thinking.

I'm kinda anal about wheel choice, though, so I'll likely stay with my factory "Jeep" labeled aluminum rims since they came with the truck.

thats just a small matter, though.

whats your plan for recovery/self-recovery?

Stock wheels will rub on your LCAs before lock with 30s and up. Ask me how I know:laugh3:. Buffed my LCAs for a few weeks before I gave in and bought new wheels.
Aside from wheel spacers or loosing steering throw, Soft 8s or American Racing sgteelies would be a low cost alternative..

Stock wheels will rub on your LCAs before lock with 30s and up. Ask me how I know:laugh3:. Buffed my LCAs for a few weeks before I gave in and bought new wheels.
Aside from wheel spacers or loosing steering throw, Soft 8s or American Racing sgteelies would be a low cost alternative..

from the bfg website:

235/75r15 = 29.0" x 9.1"
30x9.5r15 = 29.5" x 9.4"

Not much difference there.

my current tires are goodyear wrangler at-s's with these specs:

235/75r15 = 29.1 x 9.1"

Interesting that you were having rubbing issues. I have been thinking that the size change would be negligible, but its good to have on my radar just in case! :rof:

i heard you can use wj lower arms for more clearance with stock wheels as they have a bend in them might want to look into that if you really want the stockers

Last edited:
yup, very much along the lines of what I was thinking.

I'm kinda anal about wheel choice, though, so I'll likely stay with my factory "Jeep" labeled aluminum rims since they came with the truck.

thats just a small matter, though.

whats your plan for recovery/self-recovery?

Right now its gonna be the C4x4 THB's (they are already installed but i forgot to put those on the list) and a hitch(not installed). When cash allows I will go to a JCR stage3 front bumper and a stage 2 rear bumper. Then I am going to switch over to ~3" of lift Via OME springs and shocks.

You can take a peak at my build, it's going to be about 3" of lift with 33's and 35's for the trail. Sleeved and trussed D30 and 8.25 with complete floor reworking and other goodies.

Search for Rusty Nail.

You can take a peak at my build, it's going to be about 3" of lift with 33's and 35's for the trail. Sleeved and trussed D30 and 8.25 with complete floor reworking and other goodies.

Search for Rusty Nail.

Which is coming along quite nicely. I saw it earlier man, looks awesome!

I think you should boost in the 2-3 inch range.... Then your jeep will surprise you with its capabilities

When I was stock the biggest issue that I had was that I was running out of ground clearance. That can only be fixed with larger tires... for larger tires you need a bit of lift. The lift also helps with some more flex.

/\ /\ Agreed. First lift I did on my '99 was a 3" RE with 31's and open diffs. I went all over Moab with that setup and was very happy with how well it performed.

/\ /\ Agreed. First lift I did on my '99 was a 3" RE with 31's and open diffs. I went all over Moab with that setup and was very happy with how well it performed.

Glad to hear it. I want to drive mine out to Moab. I wanna get my axles swapped for 4.10 axles via a 4 banger D30 and an 8.8 first though.

Back