• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CV joint in pinion end of rear d/shaft?

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
this is kind of a sidebar to XJguy's thread.. i have heard "talk" of CJ/YJ guys running the CV joint at the opposite end of the d/shaft and keeping the slip yoke.. it is said to eliminate the "shimming process" and most vibes too.... i dont know anything more about this but if it actually works maybe it would be worth a try... an XJ onwer menioned this to me last month, he runs with a bunch of YJ guys and it seemed one of his buddies is running this.. i know very little about driveline angles and the like( but i need to learn soon!!!) but i figured i'd throw this idea out at the crowd for thoughts...
mike

it doesn't make any sense to me to have a CV at only the pinion end. usually a CV goes on the end with the angle (typically at the transfer case) and the pinion is pointed directly at the transfer case.

if you were to do what you are saying, where would you point the pinion? If you say at the TC, then the CV is doing nothing. If you say parallel to the TC output, then I don't see this working.

the only practical application I can see for this is if you have your T-case pointed directly at your pinion but can't point your pinion at the T-case. I can't imagine a situation where this would occur however.

Now theory aside, it may work for some people, I have a friend with an XJ lifted almost 9 inches with an auto and D44 (meaning very short driveshaft) and he has no SYE and has his pinion pointed directly at the T-case. This defies the theories involved in driveshaft setup, but you can't argue with success; it has no vibes and he hasn't blown a t-case yet with probably over 20,000 miles on the setup.

I as well have seen a simialr to what mad maxj has seen except only 8 inches and I agree that sometimes things just work for no explaninable reason.

Back