• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will a 93 motor work in a 99?

saleen9973

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys i have a 93 with a shot body but the motor is great. I found a 99 with a great body, but it smokes real bad. The owner says it lost power and he has not drove it since. He thinks it has a cracked head. He wants 1000.00 for it. Will the motor or head from my 93 work in the 99?

I swear, man, you're gonna end up on the couch... good luck!

Is it the new head design or the old head design on the 99? I guess since you have the whole 93 around for parts swapping it'll work either way, but if it's the old head design on the 99 I'm pretty sure you can gain some horsepower by installing its intake manifold on the motor from the 93, then putting it back in the 99.

Also, maybe offer 300-500? He might take it, no sense dumping extra cash.

Determine where the smoke is coming from - if it has a blown front pump seal on the transmission or rusty trans cooler lines or a variety of other silly problems, you can spend less than a hundred bucks on parts (even assuming the transmission is shot and you pull the one from the 93) and new seals and fix it right up. Don't let on that you know what's wrong with it till the title is signed over, obviously. If the engine runs well but it seems to be going nowhere, it's probably a transmission issue, if the engine runs like crap you can put it back together using parts from your 93 as you already considered.

I found a 91 xj limited with a very small amount of rust on it and the guy wants 900 for it. I told him i would be at his house at 9am to buy it. I have been looking at this 91 limited for about 3 months now by where i work. He finally has it for sale. I have stopped before and checked it out, it has a rot spot on the rear passenger bottom quarter by the bumper, rockers are good and just some small amounts of surface rust on floors. Frame rails still factory undercoating on them and are solid. Its green with tan leather and a sunroof. It doesn't seem to leak anything. I think i will offer him 650.00 to start and then see where he goes.

I didn't actually say i was gonna buy it to him, i think i just thought it in my crazy head. I know i will buy it even if he stays at 900.

if the body on the 99 is in great shape I.E. no major dents or rust, then id go for that and swap in the 93 motor, alot less crap to go wrong with then the 91

i did this swap over the summer. the 2 will sawp however you will need everything from the 99 acc wise to make the swap work. the only fab work i had to do was a plate that mounted the 2 different ends of the ac setup it can be done it took me a weekend and i was on the road again good luck

Uh, never heard that...

Are you sure you aren't talking about the california smog rules?

Back