• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off Road Lights-on and off road

Djmack

NAXJA Forum User
Hey NAXJA! I've got some wiring questions. I'm wiring 4x100watt lights on 2 switches, I've had them wired for some time now, but the bulbs burned out and I think it's time for some new wiring.
So I had the idea that I want 2 double power switches which will have 2 input powers, the first power will be regular voltage, the second will cause the lights to run dim, for road use.
Now, what do I need to do to get this low voltage? Can any one provide any diagrams?

Thanks.

If they're quartz halogen bulbs, you should avoid running them on a lower voltage... it will severely shorten their lifespan and the glass will get darkened prematurely by tungsten vapor deposition. Find a 12V halogen-capable dimmer module.

Okay. I'll look. But, what is the best amp rated fuse to run 400w? I currently had a 30a fuse. Is this to high?

400watts is 33.3333333333333amps@12volts!

If you're running the lights in pairs, you should have two fuses. I'd use 20A fuses. Are you running these off of relays, or powering directly through the switch? What size wire?

no.. it goes as 1 main 8-10awg wire coming from the battery through a 30a fuse, then it runs across the engine to the firewall under the master cylinder and it runs across 2 switches which then run back into the engine bay into 2 splitters and into the lights... the lights ground into the bumper.

If they're quartz halogen bulbs, you should avoid running them on a lower voltage... it will severely shorten their lifespan and the glass will get darkened prematurely by tungsten vapor deposition. Find a 12V halogen-capable dimmer module.

whats the difference between a regular dimmer and a halogen capable dimmer?

400watts is 33.3333333333333amps@12volts!
Or 28.98 amps at 13.8 volts. It's probably running around 14 volts, thus why the fuse isn't blowing?

Also, yes, you should be running them off relays.

You really need to run those thru relays, the switches are not made to handle that kind of amperage, thats a good way to burn your jeep down. Your probably not getting full voltage to the lights because of the lenghts of wires, that could cause them to burn out.

X2,while electrically speaking,it could be done,its not realistic.A 12volt/100watt(per lamp) variable resistor would be huge and put out a ton of heat!

12 volt variable resistor? What?

Look into the dimmers, or just have a different set of road-legal (DOT certified) ones for on-road use.

Yeah, you need some relays, and ideally separate fuses. I'd also check the resistance between the bumper grounds and the battery. Between the long power runs and the bumper grounds, you're probably not getting full power to the lamps.

okay... im getting full power... they will daylight acres of land... the switches that i bought for them are capable of 20a loads each.. the bumper is grounded properly, everything is 1/4" steel.
the lights ran for about 6 months now, and the fuse blew because i was testing to see if i had current, the improper way..(no test light or DMM)

im lacking money right now.. so no proper wiring harness.

It's 2 switches. And all the wiring is already there.

Last edited:
Back to your original question.
Dimming any halogen bulb will damage it and cause premature failure.
So why not use what you have?
How about aiming two of the lights for road use and wire them so they will only come on when the high beams are on. The other two light would be aimed higher and wider for off road use.
Best of both worlds.

I'll just buy new switches. And look into buying relays. Anything in specific that I should buy? Or are they basicly all the same?

Do it once, you might as well do it right. Use a relay. Here is the safest way to wire in a switch so that the amps do not go through the switch and heat it up. A hot switch has been known to melt and cause fires.....This is how everything that requires me to wire in a switch on my XJ is wired. Do not forget to put a fuse on the incoming +12v (from +12v side)
relay2.jpg

Back