• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash light fuse blows

Fatbass said:
All my bulbs are working, replaced the headlight switch and I keep blowing the fuse!:smsoap: Please help!!! 91 XJ auto.
Had the same problem in my '89 XJ... turned out the lamp in the shifter console was grounding out on the metal bracket in there... must have went through 20 fuses in 2 months before I found it. In the '89 the instrument panel fuse also runs the tail lamps, didn't know that until the cop pulled me over!

umm, all my lights work. if i replace the fuse it will last a few days or blow right away. Does the control panel for the heater have a light? When my dash lights are working you can't see them at all.

Sounds like you're grounding out on something... I'd check all the dash lighting, looking for breaks and broken mounts that may be coming in contact with metal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the heater CP in the '91's have a light.

yes, the HVAC controls should be lit. There is one bulb on the passenger side. There's also a bulb in the top of the cigarette lighter housing, this is the one that caused my problem, the lighter housing is metal, and ground the dimer wire.

Found my dash light problem, fuse was blowing due to poor radio install. Found a wire that had power when lights were turned on and it was able to ground out on the radio bracket. Also found a hot wire next to the cig lighter. I think it's for a dash light but mine doesn't have one, so I taped it up as well. Thanks all for the help!

Back