• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR bumper tie in brackets

MNxj98

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so my cherokee got into a fight with a guardrail before i got it. but the bumper got pushed in a bit, bending the mounting bracket as well as the 'uniframe' or whatever you want to call it. i want to build a bumper but i dont have a straight mount to start with. sooooooo im wondering if i should try to pull this area out and/or use these JCR brackets or something similar that i would make myself. looks pretty straight forward to me. anyone who has done anything like this i would GREATLY appreciate any advice on this. and if you'd like a picture ill get to it tomorrow, my truck is covered with snow and road junk so dont feel much like getting under it today.

A picture would help, your plan is solid, but the question is how damaged is that rail.

I just ordered a set of JCR tie in brackets to build a bumper from. I just had them leave 6" of extra plate on the front of them. No extra charge.
Which side got damaged? The driver side has a lot going on in that area. You will need to address that first but you could use the tie ins to help.
If the damage is forward of the steering box it isn't too bad. Just cut it all out and weld in new square tube front cross member. If you make a 2 piece bumper with the tie ins separate you can weld them in to plate the entire outside of the frame rails.

Last edited:
I would straighten it as much as possible then either buy the JCR plates or make your own if you have the tools/skills to do so. I have to say that if you have the money to spare JCR is the way to go, their product is top notch and they are a supporter or NAXJA, if I had the money I would have a JCR equiped rig.

yeah, jcp appears to make amazing products, but i enjoy making parts and saving money. but here are some pictures. i hope they work, we'll see.

Dont feel bad, mine got into a fight with a big green steel dumpster the other night... friggin ice.....

homemisccars088.jpg

homemisccars087.jpg

homemisccars086.jpg

not as convenient, but there they are, the damage doesnt go past the radiator support so this should work out really well. let me know what you think.

Plate like the JCR's should take care of that damage, you may just have to 'massage' it back out with a BFH to get it all lined up. I had similar damage to mine when i put tow hooks on and I just got the rear bolts in and persuaded the metal over in the front until i could get those in. I will be pretty tough to make a plate though without haveing the holes properly located to make a template from to drill.

Back