• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Mounts... same for AX15 and AW4?

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Chryslerpartsdirect.com only lists one transmission mount insulator for 4.0's; they do not specify manual or automatic.

I cross referenced with Rock Auto, they list the same part number for both.

Can anyone confirm? I could have sworn they were different last time I bought one. Want to go OEM this time so it lasts a bit longer.

I'm pretty sure the mount is the same, but the crossmember is either flipped or different.

Looking in my parts catalog for 94-96, it appears that the part is #24 on page 9B-1020 (very confusing, as the index for the body sheet metal section says it's on page SXJ-1000) and that it is indeed universal, part number is 5200 2334. The bracket itself is different:
* 94-95 manual - 5200 3927
* 96 manual - 5205 8883
* 94-96 automatic - 5200 3071 (requires insulator 5300 0101 for 94-95, 5205 8884 for 96, from the diagram this looks like the exhaust hangar insulator attached to the transmission mount)

Bracket means crossmember right?

They list a bracket on Chrysler parts... just want to make sure I dont miss a part I need.

Thanks for the help.

Nope. The assembly order (from the bottom) is - crossmember, spacer (just a sheet of some material with 4 holes in it), cushion (the rubber part of the transmission mount, has two bolt holes for bolts going upwards), bracket (just a plate of formed steel, has the exhaust mount hanging off the side and for a manual, 4 holes for bolting to the transmission), then ANOTHER bracket (2wd auto models only), then the transmission. Clear yet? :looney: I'm getting confused just looking at the diagram.

Looks like the order, 4.0 4wd manual specific, is crossmember - cushion/rubber mount - exhaust+transmission bracket - transmission. The exhaust/transmission bracket has 4 bolts that go into the transmission housing and two studs that go through the holes in the cushion/rubber mount.

EDIT: Part numbers for EVERYTHING (except nuts/bolts) between the transmission and the crossmember for 94/4.0/4wd/manual - 5200 2334 and 5200 3927. You likely only need 5200 2334 unless the metal bracket bit is severely rusted or your exhaust hangar insulator is badly worn.

Last edited:
K.

Thanks.

I think I just need the insulator.

Kastein's description is probably the best I have seen.

One thing to add--there are two different mounts in thickness. One is 3" tall, fits all transmissions EXCEPT Peugeot, 84-97. The second is 1 1/2" tall, fits all transmissions EXCEPT Peugeot 84-01. Does that clear things up for everyone? There is a footnote:

If exhaust bracket next to the transmission mount is above the transmission support bracket, use the 1 1/2" mount. Otherwise use the 3" mount.

Back