• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATF leak?

Fixn2xlr8

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and found a kinda related thread on the subject but yesterday I saw a cloud of smoke behind me on the freeway, pulled over and transmission fluid was leaking (fast) on the ground. Leaked for a good bit after the motor was stopped for a while too. Best as I can figure, if it were a seal, it would have been leaking for a good long while, starting off slow, and getting worse over time. This is something that just started, and its bad. Am I correct in my thinking?

Lots of snow and I used 4 wheel drive for most of the weekend. Dont know if that adds anything to the equation or not.

Transmission cooling line sounds like a reasonable place too look. As best as I could tell its leaking between the tranny and the motor oil pan, dripping down onto the exhaust.

That sounds like the front pump seal. It could be your lines though, start it up and see where it's coming from. Lines are more expensive ($63-70 vs $6) but much faster and easier to replace, so if you end up unsure and the lines are rusty, I'd do them first as they probably need it anyways.

Seems it was a line resting on top of the exhaust. Vibrations rubbed a hole in the line. Glad its something simple though.

Back