• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disconnect locking button from bars?

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
In taking apart my door I've got it almost all the way apart, but I can't seem to get the rods that come out of the door and connect to the actual lock button to disconnect. Also, I'm assuming that the little plastic triangles each bar attaches to are not supposed to come off?

Need to push the plastic (earlier ones were metal) up and off of the locking rod & door handle rod. Look closely, you will see where they clip over the rods right behind the rods where they make the 90* bend.

The rods will lift or push out of the button & handle mechanism. You can then remove the lock / handle assembly. Usually it's best to tape or tie the two rods up in that area, as they have a tendancy to slip down, and when you're ready to assemble the door panel, you will discover they are out of reach.

Just a suggestion, but while it's open, I put a short piece of foam pipe insulation on each rod to stop rattles.

the end of the rod has a 90-degree bend. there is a little plastic clip with a hole at one edge that the bend inserts into, and then the clip rotates and locks the rod in place

images

you need to find the open side of the plastic, put a flathead on it and pry it off the bar so that it rotates around the end, and then pull the end of the bar out of the hole

Thanks, got the one I didn't break off. In the dark I couldn't see the open end. Can I just replace the lock button to fix that triangle that I snapped off? Or would I have to replace that entire little assembly there?

Someone made a thread about fixing those with some ~18ga aluminum/steel sheet and a little time and patience. I forget what to search for though :banghead: otherwise I'd give you a link.

Back