• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedbump in Mexico

ubercurtisb

NAXJA Forum User
As I crossed the border into Mexico this weekend, the Jeep shuttered, sputtered, and died. Literally a stone's throw from Gringo Pass in Sonoyta. As I murmur "Shh!!!!tttt....", my blonde hair, blued eyed girlfriend is sitting shotgun and a one-armed man with a cup of change approaches my door. This is not the vacation I had in mind. Luckily I was traveling with a couple other trucks, but they were still at the border, being searched since they're a tad more "kitted out". So I didn't feel like we were in immediate danger, being able to communicate with the radios.

I knew what had happened. It's happened before. The crankshaft positioning sensor overheated and crapped out temporarily. I had bought one while in Arizona, but I didn't know where it went, and I didn't have the wealth of knowledge in the internet, and I had it with me. *whew!* Still, that doesn't help me now. As I waited for the other guys, I propped the hood open and poured some water down the back of the engine bay to help speed the cooling process up. After a few minutes of cooling, we high-tailed it to Puerto Penasco with the heat on, the windows down, and the RPMs under 2,000.

When we finally got to the fish market in Rocky point (my breath was being held the whole way), I pulled into a parking spot and, yup, she croaked. I stepped out of the Jeep to a man on a second story balcony offering free margaritas with lunch. Hell, this can wait, I need a drink. As I ate this...:

DSCF2383.jpg

...I asked the waiter if he knew where I could find a mechanic. "A metch-anic!? Yeah, I find you metch-anic!" He walked over to the same railing in which he called for me and shouted "Necesito un mechanico!", or the actual spanish for what I'm trying to say. We paid the bill and did some window shopping for about 15 minutes until the waiter ran up to us and a man with his toolbox following. "Here's a metch-anic." This is Mexico.

I walked the mechanic and his apprentice and his 8 year-old boy over tho the Jeep, and I popped the hood. Before I could even tell him what was wrong with my XJ, he had the air intake off and poured a mysterious orange liquid kept in an old Coke bottle into my throttle body:

DSC_4760JPG.jpg

DSC_4758JPG.jpg

To be continued....

good luck with that

After pouring watered down Fanta into my air intake, and as I was trying to hold back the horrified look on my face, the gentleman asked for my llaves. He turned the ignition, and not to my surprise, the engine started. He smiled a toothless grin thinking he had solved my problem.

After my buddy Mark caught his breath from laughing so hard at the situation, he calmly took the sensor from my hand and held it before the mechanic and said something in spanish. Now, I speak a little spanish, enough to pick up on something said. Mark speaks it fluently, so I just asked him why the translation was lost. "I told him, "We don't know where the f**k this goes!""

The mechanic grinned his gummy grin again, took the part from Mark's hand and got to work. I like to know how to take care of my stuff, in case I ever have the same problem again, I can fix it myself. So I crawled under to see what he was doing. Ten minutes later, I was talking him down from $30 to $25, and then he vanished. Maybe for Mexico, I overpaid. But from that moment on, the Jeep rode flawlessly, without even a single hickup or stall.

We spent a few minutes bartering with the vendadoras, who accept onion bagels as currency...:

She wanted $40, he had $9.
DSCF2385.jpg

...and we were off. We drove west along the beach for a few kilometers...:

DSCF2395.jpg

DSCF2399.jpg

We finally settled into a little spot outside what looked to be an abandoned vacation home neighborhood. Palapas every few meters, and just up on the ridge of sand protecting us from the high tide...:

DSCF2404.jpg

The girls ran around as the men set up camp and got dinner going...:

DSCF2408.jpg

Since we lost some time by going slower than originally planned and waiting for the mechanic, we wanted to play on the beach as much as possible before the sun went down. First thing's first; TEQUILA...:

DSCF2427.jpg

DSCF2423.jpg

Awesome thread! Rocky point is so much fun. I go every year and I alwasy camp. nothing better then waking up to a low tide

Is that the Expeditions West Taco?

I love Rocky Point!

Been twice, before I owned a Jeep.

Once I finish grad school I want to go again.

Back