• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering cooler

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
How many of you's guys run a P/S cooler. I'm in the process of putting in a new pump in my MJ (project) and it seems like it would be super easy to route the return line to a small cooler in front of the e-fan.

I just did the P/S pump on the XJ (driver) and the fluid I got out was like thick brown molasses. Smelled burned. Flushed it out until all clear which took 2.5 qts. of fluid. Seems a cooler might fix, or at least help that.

Or you could change it more often. With all of mine I already have Transmission cooler and Condensor in front of the radiator. Adding another cooler might restrict cooling of something else!

Not sure how necessary it is if you chang the fluid periodically. I suspect most people change it when the PS fails.

I still haven't changed mine... haven't looked into how I'm supposed to do it, otherwise I would have probably :eek:

Don't have to put the cooler in front of the radiator, I'd probably put mine behind the bumper horizontally with a couple small electric fans blowing on it.

You really haven't had much driving time in your MJ yet, and not in hot weather.

I'm always concerned about putting more things in front of the radiator, adding heat and restricting air flow.

I try and remember to change the PS fluid annually, and I just use my little lubricant hand pump to empty the reservoir and refill with new. Not as good as a flush, but seems to keep things going Ok.

I try and remember to change the PS fluid annually, and I just use my little lubricant hand pump to empty the reservoir and refill with new. Not as good as a flush, but seems to keep things going Ok.
i do the same thing and mine remains crystal clear! the fluid is cheap!:woohoo:

....I'm always concerned about putting more things in front of the radiator, adding heat and restricting air flow.

The cooler is pretty small, like 8"x4" and I don't have anything there (5 speed) but the rad and condenser. I doubt if it'll restrict barely any airflow. When I swap the goat to an AW4 I'll see if a larger tranny cooler will fit comfortably. I can always delete the P/S cooler easily.

... I try and remember to change the PS fluid annually, and I just use my little lubricant hand pump to empty the reservoir and refill with new. Not as good as a flush, but seems to keep things going Ok.

There is that too..I've had the XJ for 5+ years and never changed the fluid. The P/S system was always a big mystery to me, now I understand how it works and how friggin' easy it is to empty/refill/flush.

I have heard of xj owners that have auto transmissions rerouting the trans lines to a aftermarket cooler in front of the radiator and then plumbing the p/s lines through the cooler in the radiator.

I'm running one on my 5spd. Its in front of the rad.

I did it because I had a B&M stacked plate trans cooler sitting around and I was bored.

Haven't noticed a difference from running it truthfully. Except now I have a leak where the hoses go into it, in addition to my leaky steering box.

Just do it.......no issues.

My (old) XJ had a trans cooler and seperate (smaller) PS cooler in front of the radiator. Also had a winch mounted right in front of the radiator, and a stroker motor. Cooling system all stock except for a good aftermarket radiator and I never had cooling issues. I live in the CA central valley, so everywhere I went to go wheeling was up a long grade, and it regularly gets over 100* in the summer.

In addition to annual PS fluid change and flush, don't forget to install one of these filters on your PS pump return line, this magnetic unit traps fine metals and reduces pump/gear wear. Works on tranny's too.

Found mine locally for $19.00.

Filter_with_text.gif

The MAGNEFINE filter extends the filtration spectrum to provide dual filtration that is designed to be completely effective in removing damaging ferrous metal particles from automatic transmissions and power steering systems.

When the fluid passes within the effective range (5mm) of the powerful magnet, the MAGNEFINE filter quickly attracts all the hard damaging ferrous particles, even down to an incredible sub-micron level stopping the "chain reaction of wear".

(University test show removal of harmful ferrous metal particles to 99.9974%) The secondary filtration media, removes remaining non-ferrous materials (i.e. copper, aluminum, dirt, clutch material)

The worldwide patented MAGNEFINE dual filtration filter is the only effective form of filtration that can provide dynamic small particle extraction while maintaining full line flow capabilities for automatic transmissions and power steering systems
  • EXTENDS TRANSMISSION SERVICE CYCLE

Continual cleaning of the transmission fluid actually produces cleaner fluid than the new fluid you put into the system. Major OEM's recommend adding 10,000 miles to your service cycle with the use of the Magnefine filter.
  • EXTENDS COMPONENT LIFE

Filtering out ferrous particles 3 microns and up, will enhance componet life by 7 times, according to Sayles & Macpherson.
  • DESIGNED FOR EASY INSTALLATION

Easily installed on both hose and steel lines. Magnefine has simplified steel line installations with the use of its "SMART CONNECT" fittings.
  • SIMPLIFIES TRANSMISSION SERVICING

No more dropping the pan to service the pan filter at your normal cycle. Pan filter servicing is recommended at 100,000 miles. Servicing may be accomplished by evacuation at the inline filter points or by draining.
  • STOPS "CHAIN REACTION OF WEAR"

Removing the ferrous particles in the 3 to 15 micron range with the powerful magnet, stops the wear and break down of the stabilizers.

That's cheaper than the inline filter I run from Lee Mfg. I also run Redline synthetic power steering fluid. Between the synthetic and the filter there's no need to change fluid often, which is much harder with hydro assist.

Changing fluid on stock setup is dead simple, just disconnect the return hose and let the reservoir drain, refill, run, repeat as needed

I've also thought about inline filters but never really felt the need for it. I'm sure they help get the particulates out of the fluid and prolong the life of the pump and gears, just haven't ever done it.

Still haven't seen the data to support the "need" for one. Will it reduce temp? Yes. Will it improve performance? Not likely.

PS failure, in my experience, is due to the sealed bearing failing next to the pulley. It is not lubricated by the PS fluid. There is a seal on the input shafter between the bearing and the fluid.

If you are running a hydrolic winch, I migh agree with considering both a cooler and filter and regimented changes.

dont mean to kind of hijack, but would a heat sink style cooler be worthwhile as a PS fluid cooler? finding a suitable location for it may be a problem though

95629-md.jpg

yes this is what most people would run besides a little cooler with an electric fan mounted under the jeep somewhere

Still haven't seen the data to support the "need" for one. Will it reduce temp? Yes. Will it improve performance? Not likely.

PS failure, in my experience, is due to the sealed bearing failing next to the pulley. It is not lubricated by the PS fluid. There is a seal on the input shafter between the bearing and the fluid.

If you are running a hydrolic winch, I migh agree with considering both a cooler and filter and regimented changes.

The need comes from wheeling with larger tires. On the street it's not an issue. Turning the wheel back and forth on trails can heat up the fluid which can then make the pump whine and eventually damage the pump. So, it's both for performance and reliabilty. We've seen plenty of whining PS pumps on trail rigs and putting a cooler on it solved the problem. I consider it highly recommended on a rig with 33"+ plus tires that runs many trails, and absolutely required on any rig with hydro assist or full hydro.

Is that evidence enough for you? :)

dont mean to kind of hijack, but would a heat sink style cooler be worthwhile as a PS fluid cooler? finding a suitable location for it may be a problem though

95629-md.jpg

Most aftermarket power steering vendors sell that style of cooler. It doesn't need a fan, and can be mounted anywhere that has even a little bit of air flow.

The need comes from wheeling with larger tires. On the street it's not an issue. Turning the wheel back and forth on trails can heat up the fluid which can then make the pump whine and eventually damage the pump. So, it's both for performance and reliabilty. We've seen plenty of whining PS pumps on trail rigs and putting a cooler on it solved the problem. I consider it highly recommended on a rig with 33"+ plus tires that runs many trails, and absolutely required on any rig with hydro assist or full hydro.

Exactly. I've worked wet rock, hunting for traction on 33's, and boiled over PS fluid. The cooler I installed was nothing more than a recycled trannny cooler from one of my junk XJs - that's worked for several years now with no issues.

sorry to bring this thread back, i just have an easy question. the line i want to put the cooler on is the one that comes out the back/bottom of the reservoir, correct?

thanks

Only one line is going to the resevoir, the other is a threaded fitting out of the pump.

And yes, you want this to go in-line with the line going to the resevoir. I always plumb mine box -> bottom of cooler and top of cooler -> resevoir. I'd rather push the fluid up and give it time to cool than have it fall through the cooler at the speed of gravity and not cool as much.

Back