• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rotopax fuel mount

That sure looks like a sweet mod to a Detours tire carrier. It might however, be a good idea to add some diagonal bracing to keep the sway from fuel slosh in check. Maybe brace to the tire mount.

Matt

It might however, be a good idea to add some diagonal bracing....
Matt

Thanks... I'm looking at the whole system and I will probably add something.

4 gals. x 6.25 lbs = 25 lbs. x 2 packs =50 lbs. Not a whole lot of weight, but yeah, I think I might add a brace.

Okay, I may have to rethink this.....

I have to weld the mount in just the right spot in order for the hatch to clear the mount.

Even then, the spare tire carrier has to be opened all the way. I'm thinking this may be a PITA un an urban environment. This is my DD, and I'm thinking in parking lots, this may become a bit of a hassle....

So my question is for those of you who have spare tire carriers.....

Is it really a pain when you have to swing the carrier all the way open all time??

See my sketch below.....

can't see your sketch here, but I was suprised to see the packs oriented much like your spare. I think the cool thing about the rotopax's is that they are so thin. is there a way to get them closer to the driver or passenger side of the tire? so that the thin edge would be facing the camera in your pics?

Or how about moving your spare out a bit from the carrier, enough so that they could fit on either side of the tire mounting arm.

Very good idea that just needs a bit of tweaking. Looking forward to seeing what you figure out!

-Brian

can't see your sketch here, but I was suprised to see the packs oriented much like your spare. I think the cool thing about the rotopax's is that they are so thin. is there a way to get them closer to the driver or passenger side of the tire? so that the thin edge would be facing the camera in your pics?

The sketch didn't load, sorry....

If I read you right, your saying orient the Rotopax so the width runs front to back instead of side to side?

Or how about moving your spare out a bit from the carrier, enough so that they could fit on either side of the tire mounting arm.

No the tire mount is angled to match the angle of the hatch. It would stick out too far.

Yeah you got my meaning. Understood about the tire angle, i see the problem with mounting them there now.

And yeah, with the width front to back is what I was talking about so that you could suck it closer to, say, the passenger side of the wheel using the same cool mount you
already fabbed up, maybe with some added gusseting.

Back