• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Compressor

Ian Christiansen

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231, 149,600 miles. The AC compressor pulley is making a lot of noise. Can I just replace the pulley or do I have to replace the entire compressor? Also, when it does fail, will the pulley freeze up or will continue to spin?

For purposes of searching, the "pulley" is the A/C clutch. Generally speaking you have three options: replace just the bearing, just the clutch or the entire compressor.

I don't recall exactly what the bearings cost but say around $20. Beyond that, the generally accepted wisdom has been that it is more cost effective to replace the whole compressor rather than just the clutch. Compressors appear to run ~ $200 at Rockauto.com as an example). Google "Sanden SD709" for a lot of sources. I don't know what a clutch costs but the last time I checked it seems like they were in the neighborhood of $100 -- quite awhile ago so don't rely on that figure.

I don't know if the clutch will seize up eventually but seems to me that in the meantime the noise would drive you bonkers to the point that you really wouldn't care.

Search "A/C clutch" in the OEM forum for a lot more info on the subject.

Back