• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Winshield Wiper Issue

casm

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having a problem with the front windshield wipers on my 2000 XJ (see sig for details) that I haven't been able to track down. This only affects the fronts; the rear one is working fine.

Symptoms: wipers ran fine for about 5 minutes on intermittent yesterday. They returned to the park position and ceased working at that point. None of the positions on the stalk worked; adjusting the intermittent interval via the knob on the end of the stalk also had no effect.

Troubleshooting so far: removed the kick panel around the fuse box for better access and checked the 20A fuse at location C30 per the diagram here, expecting to find it blown. Couldn't locate the fuse (seriously - I just could not find it), so gave everything a quick tightness check by hand while I was in there and put the panels back together.

Result: the wipers now run at low speed in both the intermittent and low positions; adjusting the intermittency interval has no effect. High speed works as normal. The wipers do not return to the park position regardless of which position the wiper stalk is placed in.

The threads I've been digging up on this suggest a bad wiper control module, but from what I've read this may (note I say 'may') only apply to pre-'97 XJs.

Any ideas? We just got another 8" snow dump here with more expected later this week, and having semi-working wipers is driving me crazy.

Result: the wipers now run at low speed in both the intermittent and low positions; adjusting the intermittency interval has no effect. High speed works as normal. The wipers do not return to the park position regardless of which position the wiper stalk is placed in.

All I can tell you is that most Wiper motors "Park Position" are controlled at/in the wiper motor itself. Usually over time the tab on the gear breaks off therefore the motor does not know where the park position is.

I had a similar issue with my 99. The windsheid wipers worked in high position, sometimes in low and delay, but when turned off did not return to park. New wiper motor corrected my issue.

I had a similar issue with my 99. The windsheid wipers worked in high position, sometimes in low and delay, but when turned off did not return to park. New wiper motor corrected my issue.

Hm. OK, I'll have to look into that. It makes sense; I just hadn't suspected the motor initially as it appeared to still be working. Thanks folks :)

I have a 2000 xj and my intermittent wipers don't work right they go the speed of low on the lowest intermittent setting . I already replaced the switch any one have any ideas?

Back