• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SOA MJ using an XJ Axle?

Twicepardoned

NAXJA Forum User
Can I use an XJ axle to swap my MJ to a Spring over?

I am not talking about welding perches etc... I'm talking about using the axle out of an XJ exactly how it is... SWAPPED, not converted.?.?.?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
The pinion angle will probably be off. If you plan on doing a srping over on an MJ, I guess you whant to run bigger tires so, don't waste your time on a D35. Go with a 8.25 or D44.

Sorry I should have mentioned my intentions. I have a friend with a 8.8 in His XJ and he is going to convert to a D44 now.
SO the 8.8 is cheap (with 4.10s) :)

(I was just using the D35 as an example, sorry)

Perch width is also different between the XJ and MJ. They close but not close enough. If you bolt in the XJ axle as is you will wear the leaf spring bushing out because they will be at an angle. HTH

And that's what I was afraid of...
Ugh.

OK... well no loss since I didn't buy it yet. I never really was looking for a hardcore Comanche anyway

I even have a pretty good welder but I'm not interested in any modifications on this vehicle that won't bolt in.

SOA is a 4.5" lift though, right?

it will bolt in, once you change the spring width on the axle.

SOA height is dependant on what kinda perche's you end up using, tnt ube's for example will give about 6", 4.5" is kinda low, you'd need low profile perches for that.

bolt on upgrades will only get you on the cover of quadratec...q

I got about 5.5 inches going SOA on my MJ using an XJ D44 and MORE spring perches. My buddy welded on the spring perches for me. Not a huge deal. And you also have to weld on some new shock mounts.

I used the TNT .5" UBE's, I'd agree with Johnny on the 5.5" thing cause I netted around 6". Here's how mine sits with RE 5.5" up front (which we all know sit a bit higher than 5.5)

MJclean.jpg

mj1.jpg

bolt on upgrades will only get you on the cover of quadratec...q

I'm not looking to break records here or anything lol
Just hoping to have a decent truck (to use like a truck) with the ability to go on mild trail rides for fun.

Currently have 31" BFG AT on Canyon wheels and they don't rub at full articulation. So I can't justify a big lift unless it just simply is too good of a deal to pass up. I thought this might be it.

But for the work of welding and needing front springs... naw. I'd rather do a budget 2" lift and stick with my 31s

sorry, we do tend to dive right in around here...

the problem w/ comanche's, is nobody really makes leafs for it. (economically!, deaver, national, etc all can build leafs for a spaceship if you can afford it and provide a testbed) your stuck using blocks, aal, or long shackles (a mj shackle is allready longer than a cherokee, you need something that'll be considered long for a cherokee)

a buddy had a rubicon express 3.5 AAL kit on his comanche, it handled ok, and didnt sag out back in its lifetime (granted it didnt last long at that height). i dont think the AAL would have held up once he locked/geared it though. <--oops, did it again.

i think 2'' is barely noticeable, you should really consider the 3.5 if its within the budget!

Thanks dude, 97+ doors and front end coming soon, glass and paint shortly after :D

Yeah, it sure looks a lot different than before. :) What color you going for Jim?

Probably just a nice clean white. I considered silver also but for what I do I think white will work best. I picked up some power 97+ doors but after looking at the wiring and what not I've decided I want to go manual doors. So if you know of any or see any lemme know :D

But I'm gonna paint mine white! And Cracker already painted his white! Triplets!

I know what you mean about the doors. I've been having problems with my power windows. So now I want to convert them back to manual. Just gotta find some 97+ manual regulators.

You don't have to SOA the axle to install the 8.8. You could SUA the 8.8 and the 4.0 would really like the 4.10s with 31s. I would be alot of fun to drive that way. Plus rear disc brakes are another great upgrade.

It's a 2.5 :(
Yeah I could SUA the 8.8 but without the lift i wouldn't go to bigger tires and the D35 is gonna be fine with 31s.

Back