• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big trouble, not enough time to search

mbiker72

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,

Last week you correctly guessed that I had the infamous cracked 0331

So now ive torn into it and surprise surprise I wiped a lifter, rounding the cam, etc. etc. nothing good.

So heres the deal, gonna rebuild it but I need the distilled opinion of the forums on where to get the best/cheapest rebuild kit, cyclinder head (from a newer wrangler or aftermarket...i dont want to retrofit an older one, i dont have the time, i have interviews coming up and need to get this done asap) etc.

Heres what I need:

New Cylinder head
Engine rebuild Kit
Piston rings – std.
Main and rod bearings - std.
Oil pump
Cam and lifters
Timing set
Cam bearings
Gaskets - complete engine set

Please guide me to the best solutions.

Never rebuild always stroke. Damn near the same costs if you do it right.

dont have the time or desire to stroke it.

im paying 53k a year for school, dont have a single extra penny.

also, it doesnt appear that either alabama or clearwater list jeep heads on their site...

So why are you rebuilding? why not get a new cam and find a Jy 0331 head and call it good.

also, it doesnt appear that either alabama or clearwater list jeep heads on their site...

https://www.alabamacylinderhead.com/productdetail.php?id=109

Engine rebuild Kit
Piston rings – std.
Main and rod bearings - std.
Gaskets - complete engine set

https://secure.pawengineparts.com/shoppingcart/ShowItem.cfm?itemid=79252&catid=1577
I'm using PAW for alot of my stroker parts they have really good prices. Haven't checked anyothers though for this :D

Last edited:
Never rebuild always stroke. Damn near the same costs if you do it right.
Why, so he can fight driveability problems and cooling issues and then have to change axles so those will hold up? Strokers are great, but I have seen many threads on here regarding problems with them. They are not for everybody. I rebuilt my 4.0 with .030 over pistons and a cam. the rest is all stock, and I like it that way. Cost is not the only factor.

Why, so he can fight driveability problems
Feel free to specify.

cooling issues .
Cooling issues are generally easy to remedy. If you have one there are plenty of ways to combat it if you look around.
and then have to change axles so those will hold up?
Driving into a rock at 20 mph is driving into a rock at 20mph a stroker has nothing to do with it the driver does. You could try less skinny pedal.

A reman might be worth it.
Cheap labor for machining would be around 580$
260$ for the rebuild kit
200ish? for a cam/lifters
60ish for an oil pump

There's 1100$ right there.

Feel free to specify.
These are just a couple that I found
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1001432&highlight=stroker
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1003013&highlight=stroker

Cooling issues are generally easy to remedy. If you have one there are plenty of ways to combat it if you look around.

That is true, but who wants combat?

Driving into a rock at 20 mph is driving into a rock at 20mph a stroker has nothing to do with it the driver does. You could try less skinny pedal.

Why would you build a stroker to use less skinny pedal?

Look, my intent was not to turn this thread into a debate on stroker vs. stock. That's not what the OP is looking for, he asked for info on a stock rebuild. My intent was to say that building a stroker is not the answer for everyone. He has a tight budget, not much time and is looking for reliability over performance. With the planning, extra work, and other modifications (injectors, bored TB etc.) that generally go along with strokers, they are more complicated than tossing in a fresh long block and driving it.

These are just a couple that I found
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1001432&highlight=stroker
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1003013&highlight=stroker

A little knowledge would of prevented both of those.

That is true, but who wants combat?

lol

Why would you build a stroker to use less skinny pedal?
Why drive
Look, my intent was not to turn this thread into a debate on stroker vs. stock.
but you did
He has a tight budget,
And my point is you can build one on the same budget.
not much time and is looking for reliability over performance.
When did he say that? Who says a stroker can't be reliable? did you buy a titan? :)
With the planning, extra work, and other modifications (injectors, bored TB etc.) that generally go along with strokers.
It's not hard to figure out all of the information is layed out in multiple places.

Yes AFTER my post he said he didnt have the desire to stroke.

How does bolting on an aluminum head give you 30 extra ponies? (Claimed on Hescos website)

You know that magic Mcdonalds comercials always talk about. Hesco just expanded on it.

Just kidding it's very possible my 5.0's AFR heads give 70hp (though 5.0 heads were crap).

I've always read good things about Hesco.

Don't put an aluminum head on a iron block. That's just plain stupid.

For cheapest GOOD fix, find a (verified good) used motor with low miles (<70K) that will fit with reasonable adaptation.

Others like Talyn have a lot of knowledge as to what years fit best. Newer motors from Wranglers???? '96 -98 XJ's? Search for links.

Unless you want to turn this into a hobby while you are going to school.

Alabama Cylinder Head and Clearwater Cylinder Head are both likely to have the head you need, even if they aren't listed on their website. Call them.

Have you gotten quotes from a local engine builder?

For what you're going to have into it going through yours, I would consider swapping in either a remanufactured engine for approx. $1700 give or take, or see if you can locate a newer salvage yard engine.

Both of the above options are plug and play......

Don't put an aluminum head on a iron block. That's just plain stupid.

For cheapest GOOD fix, find a (verified good) used motor with low miles (<70K) that will fit with reasonable adaptation.

Others like Talyn have a lot of knowledge as to what years fit best. Newer motors from Wranglers???? '96 -98 XJ's? Search for links.

Unless you want to turn this into a hobby while you are going to school.
Agreed. Different expanding rates. Stick w/the iron head.

Alabama Cylinder Head and Clearwater Cylinder Head are both likely to have the head you need, even if they aren't listed on their website. Call them.

Have you gotten quotes from a local engine builder?

For what you're going to have into it going through yours, I would consider swapping in either a remanufactured engine for approx. $1700 give or take, or see if you can locate a newer salvage yard engine.

Both of the above options are plug and play......

+1

Back