• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lifters

Runge91

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 92 4.0l and im getting a lot of top end noise, it sounds like the lifters need to be adjusted. Can you adjust them. And does anyone have any sugestions on what else the noise might be.

You may very well have lifter noise. They are not adjustable. You could try adding Marvel Mystery Oil or liquid wrench to your oil. The liquid wrench worked for me. You COULD pull the valve cover and look for excessive wear of the rockers.

You have to pull the head off to replace the lifters themselves.

If it runs good, I would just ignore it. Most XJ's are like that.

My first XJ was a 92 with a 4.0. I got it cheap B/C previous owner ran it low on oil and collapsed a lifter. It was tapping badly and parents of owner were afraid it would strand Tommy Teenager. Jeep had 270,000 on the clock so they did not wish to put any more money into it. I tried everything to get the lifter to recover, it would not. We drove it like that for another three years, other than embarassing noise it ran great.
Everything Winterbeater says is accurate. You can get adjustable pushrods but if your lifters are worn out that would probably cause damage to the camshaft. You didn't change to a higher viscosity oil recently did you?

Well thanks for the help. No i haven't changed to a diffrent oil, But here is the deal I bought the jeep a week ago from a guy that knew nothing about vehicles. So the jeep has almost 300k on it and he bought it from an auction so he doesn't know if there has been a rebuild or even a replacement, but other then the noise it runs great plenty of power and it holds oil absoultley no oil leaks.

Back