• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj efi v8

thicky

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 86 throttle body 2.5 4 speed cherokee. i lifted it and put 33"s on it and no big suprise i got no power. a guy down the road has a gm 350 throttle body 5 speed and tcase for 350$. what i am wondering is has anyone tried to use the factory 2.5 wiring harness to run a v8. lookin at it the plugins on the 350 looks the same. i know the 2.5 was built by gm and there only 3 years apart.so if anyone has tried this i could use some info. i think a efi 350 would be sweet in my xj. i know i can convert it to a carb but they always cut out goin up hill and the 350 has all the efi parts and sensors with it. thanks in advance for any help :cheers:

i have a 86 throttle body 2.5 4 speed cherokee. i lifted it and put 33"s on it and no big suprise i got no power. a guy down the road has a gm 350 throttle body 5 speed and tcase for 350$. what i am wondering is has anyone tried to use the factory 2.5 wiring harness to run a v8. lookin at it the plugins on the 350 looks the same. i know the 2.5 was built by gm and there only 3 years apart.so if anyone has tried this i could use some info. i think a efi 350 would be sweet in my xj. i know i can convert it to a carb but they always cut out goin up hill and the 350 has all the efi parts and sensors with it. thanks in advance for any help :cheers:

I thought 86's were carbed?

Can someone move this to the proper forum? This isn't quite OEM tech.

Last edited:
Oh didn't know that!

them 2.5 is basicly the iron duke bored and stroke. the easy way to do it would be to sell it and get a 88 + with a 4.0

Hey guys, I hate to burst your bubble, but the 2.46L engine was AMC. It incorporated some design features which actually carried over to the 4.0. CJs had the iron duke , but not XJs.

Hey guys, I hate to burst your bubble, but the 2.46L engine was AMC. It incorporated some design features which actually carried over to the 4.0. CJs had the iron duke , but not XJs.

This is correct. 86 was the first year for the 2.5L to get TBI, 91 was the first year to get MPI.

For a TBI 350, it should be easy enough to set up. Most likely you will need the matching computer for the 350.

Back