• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake guide repair on steering knuckles, write up.

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I know I'm not the only one to run into this problem with the D-30 knuckles. I have repaired several of my own. The guides for the brake pads get worn and will cause an annoying chirp while driving along. I also had issues with brake pads splitting in half.

The problem;

As you can see in the following pics, there are slots worn into the guides that are not supposed to be there.
kr1.jpg

kr2.jpg

The fix;

Using my trusty Hobart 125 MIG welder, I filed in the worn spots on all 3 faces of the guides and on both guides of the knuckle. I blasted these knuckles in the glass shot blaster to get them good and clean before welding.
kr3.jpg

After the welds have cooled, use a flapper wheel (60 grit) on your 4-1/2 grinder and grind down the welds until the surfaces are flush.
kr4.jpg

I have done several sets of knuckles to date with no issues.

Last edited:
Definitely adding this to the list of useful information... considered doing something like this a while ago but wasn't sure if it would make the knuckles too brittle. Thanks!

There are those that say "yes" it does cause the guide to be brittle and recommend against it.

I personally don't subscribe to that belief.

This is a standard (and common) repair at my place of employment. We haven't had issues with knuckle failure.

Just remember that the proper repair is replacement blah blah blah.....

I've done this to my XJ and my old dakota, no issues at all. I actually brazed the ones on my dakota. Both have held up well.
The theroy that it makes the metal brittle is unfounded. The metal woulde have to be rasied above 1200 C and rapidly quenced to affect the hardness of the surronding bracket in any negative way.

Update to previous post (I would edit it, but it's been way more than 45min) - replaced a shaft/u-joint/stub shaft/unit bearing yesterday, discovered that my existing knuckles have notches FAR worse than the ones pictured above. Also I seem to have put the nail in the coffin on the passenger side knuckle, stripped the threads for one of the caliper bolts out of it, going to try a helicoil but not really expecting it to work well.

Welding and drilling/tapping oversize time...

Yeah, I was applying at most two or three fingers worth of force on a standard 3/8 ratchet... it caught a little and I thought it was almost done so I snugged it down just a tiny bit more and suddenly it was turning freely. That was a pretty bad sinking feeling... as it was my only vehicle at the time :eek:

Glad to know the helicoil works well, now I just have to find out if AAP has helicoil kits that fit that bolt, I seem to recall it being a 13mm head but it might be 1/2".

im pretty sure its metric

Yeah, I was applying at most two or three fingers worth of force on a standard 3/8 ratchet... it caught a little and I thought it was almost done so I snugged it down just a tiny bit more and suddenly it was turning freely. That was a pretty bad sinking feeling... as it was my only vehicle at the time :eek:

Glad to know the helicoil works well, now I just have to find out if AAP has helicoil kits that fit that bolt, I seem to recall it being a 13mm head but it might be 1/2".

How did the end result turn out for you? I need to do the same thing for mine

I actually haven't fixed it yet (and might not bother), I just stripped a junk d30 for shafts/knuckles/spares etc and I've been driving the MJ instead of the XJ, so I haven't bothered fixing that yet... the helicoils and stuff are sitting right here though, I should probably do that tomorrow morning if I decide to care again.

Oh gotcha. Well if i end up fixing mine before you do yours then ill tell you how it turned out! Ha

Back