• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low RPM peak torque

88 Wagonman

NAXJA Forum User
The peak torque on a renix 4.0 comes in at 2400 RPM and the HO at 4000 RPM. My question is, where does it come from? Is it the head, intake, exhaust, camshaft? obviously it is a combination of factors, but what is the biggest factor? I am using an HO longblock, HO exhaust, with renix electronics, intake, throttle body. Where can I expect my peak torque? I raised the intake to match (close, not perfect obviously) the head. I know this information is in the archives somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Thanks.

The biggest factor by far is the cam.

The biggest factor by far is the cam.

So, I should convert to the HO intake and throttle body to take advantage of the higher HP because the torque is already higher up? I stayed away from it trying to keep the torque low in the RPM band.

What exactly is your goal?

You can get better results with gearing than messing with your cam/intake.

What exactly is your goal?

You can get better results with gearing than messing with your cam/intake.

I agree, but I was just wondering if my current combination of HO engine and renix intake was sufficient, or should I go to the trouble of swapping intakes. I am not after horsepower, just low end torque. To me, doing a mod that would raise the torque peak to 4000 RPM would be counter productive.

A regear is definately in the future, I just need to figure out what combo of axles\tires I plan on running first.

I'm running a reniz stroker with renix head and computer, Comp cam 68-232-4, 99 intake, 94 throttle body and fuel rail, with for 460 24# injectors. The low end torque is also what im going for and it is pretty crazy with my setup.

Back