• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powersteering problems/?'s

Jeep XJ_YJ

NAXJA Forum User
I believe my pump to be leaking on the return line from box to pump. when turning it to the right, it makes a squeel i have never hear before, and when you force it to full lock, it leaks a puddle under the pitman. What sounds like it needs to be fixed, other than the leaky line???

Look, the squeal could simply be PS fluid on the belt and when under load (turning) the belt squeals. If the belt is contaminated it needs to be replaced.

Pull the belt and turn the pump pulley by hand, see if it feels as if the pump bearings are going out. If it "feels" Ok, then clean up the mess and see if you can repair the leaks. Low pressure side will leave puddles while the high pressure side will generally make a grand mess spraying the engine bay--and can cause a fire off the hot exhaust as high pressure leaks tend to "mist". With the mess cleaned up, the low pressure leaks fixed, slap the old belt back on to make sure you got all the leaks. Once you are sure the leaks are gone replace the belt--Goodyear Gatorback belts are good. Don't forget that a new belt requires 180~200 ft lbs of tension, a used belt is 140~160 ft lbs (used is a new belt after 15 minutes of operation).

Good luck.

Back