• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

matte film

Holy crap that car looks hot. I'm assuming the color is the same as any other matte color. It could just be the color itself but I'm gonna guess that is a base coat with a matte clear coat added to it.

You might want to mix that color with a little bit of yellow to get it to be more orange. I did a model GTO with HOK Dreamsicle and didn't put a clear on it yet and it looks almost like that.
HOK has a few types of orange that look great under their Shimrin colors:
http://www.houseofkolor.com/speedshapes/speedshapes_shimrin.jsp
The sunrise and sunset colors might be it. You'd need to then add their matte finish over it.
DuPont also has a cutom color section and has their own matte clearcoat which seems to be adjustable anywhere from flat to semi-gloss depending on what you mix:
http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/visitor/b/hh/s/product/HotHues.html

i want to mix my color to get exactly what i want then spray a matte clear but i wish i could see the finish on these company's clear mattes and satins l i just want to know what texture im ending with before i make a purchase

guess i should stop by a body shop and see if they have any samples or can get samples

Almost every line of clear coat has a gloss reducer as well. Depending on how much you add, you can get everything from full sheen to dead flat.

As far as mixing, go pick out a stock color and have it mixed that way.

SPI makes some of the best clear for the price, check out their selection.

"Matte" is a finish, "orange" is the colour.

Paint can be had (typically) in three "finishes"

"Matte" - also called "flat" - is the generally non-reflective version. Most paper is a "matte finish", so you get the idea. This is also a pain to keep clean.

"Semi-Matte", "Semi-Gloss," or sometimes "Pearl" - this is the not-highly-reflective but far-easier-to-clean finish that is often used for interior house paint. This can also often be had as a clearcoat to go over a colour coat - and enough coats of a pearl clearcoat can make the thing look like a light trap! It's really a beautiful effect of depth in the colour.

"Gloss" is the shiny finish usually used on cars. It's easiest to keep clean (because it's the smoothest surface,) and this can also be had (and, for automotive, typically is) as a clearcoat. You can get a "depth effect" using enough coats of this as well, but it requires far more buffing and rubbing to get right. Think "wet glass" for this sort of finish.

For automotive applications, it's usually much easier to use a good colour coat, and then a pearl or gloss clearcoat to get the final gloss/semi-gloss finish or effect.

I was thinking that but wasn't sure, when I looked up that BMW I found a similar one with a vinyl wrap all around it.

It seems like that is what a lot of the matte finishes are. Its cheaper and easier than painting and easy to go back to stock.

$2K Will get you one HELL of a paint job... if you know how to shoot a gun :)

As for the wraps, I used to work for a company that did them. Mostly advertising, but a couple police cars used solid colors for their two-tone. Like Talyn said, intro price is around two grand... All depends how much you value your resale. On a $100,000 car that would definitely be a factor in my mind.

How much cheaper for the wrap? I'm guessing a better question would be how much the material would cost.
Also, would this hold up alright for off-road use?

Back