• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock gone big

anewlife84

NAXJA Forum User
so will you guys that run the stock gearing in your axle with 35s how does it perform. will it even do good on the highway with that setup? i most of my driving on the highway except maybe 2 miles per commute to work. i plan on getting gears done but i just put a down payment on the full traction long arm kit. how much will it cost me to get gears done in both axles?

anewlife84 said:
so will you guys that run the stock gearing in your axle with 35s how does it perform. will it even do good on the highway with that setup? i most of my driving on the highway except maybe 2 miles per commute to work.

I'm running 31" tyres on stock 3.55:1 gearing. There's no way in hell I'd do it on anything larger, and don't even like it the way it is now. Quite frankly, if you don't regear at or above that point you're basically screwed.

i plan on getting gears done but i just put a down payment on the full traction long arm kit. how much will it cost me to get gears done in both axles?

Depends on what you choose and who does the install.

BTW: this should really be in Modified Tech.

Regear first. The best thing to do, IMO. Im runnin 31's now, AX15, and 4.56 gears, I wish at times it was lower. Im going to 33's this weekend, and want to regear already, because I know it will suck more. JMHO on stuff.

Maybe I should of got an auto. :D

ok, you have the kit ordered. doesnt mean you have to install it right now. let it sit in the garage and get the gears. even if it takes a while. wish i would have done that before 4.5" and 32's.

35's and 3.55's it sucks. Have to be in 3rd on the highway to really get some acceleration, other than that i dont thinks its THAT bad. re geariing is next on the list, but with that will be new lockers front and rear, so it gets kinda pricey. You do what you can when you dan. I know having the stock gearing with big tires sucks, But i certainly wouldnt hold off on doin a bigger lift and tire, especially if the price is/was right to re gear, no way!! my $.02

if its a standard its not taht bad, i just keep it in 4 on the highway, sometimes 5 on downhill stretches :D but with an automatic i can see it sucking. I am at 33s right now with stock gearing, but I am waiting till I swap in an 8.8 to regear, so I can go deeper than 4.56s. But for now its not THAT bad, I drive it quite a bit, drove it to work 40 min a day over the summer and didnt mind it. Great thing is I still get 18+ mpg cause i can choose shift points... at least thats what I assume the reason is... haha. I get much better economy than I should be... no complaints here

Back