• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do you think? 1999 Cherokee for $1200..

dstef1605

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I am fairly new to this fourm, but have owned several Jeep vehicles in the past, so I am familiar with a few things that is typically seen on the Cherokees such as RMS leaks, NSS problems, etc. However, here is what I am looking at buying. I have the opportunity to buy a 1999 Cherokee 4.0, 4x4 with 162,000 miles on it for about $1200.00. The vehicle is in pretty good shape other than being a little bit dirty on the interior and needing a new windshield replaced. I do not have a huge amount of history for this car available to me do to it being a repo from my local credit union. I have not been able to do more than lot drive this Jeep, but I was able to determine that the four wheel drive does work and the transmission was able to shift from 1 to 2 in the distance that I was able to drive. The engine sounds really good and does not appear to have any leaks underneath. I am wondering if you guys think that this is too much money for the miles or if you would consider purchasing it. Also, does anybody have any ideas of anything that I should be aware of or should look at on this car before I buy it?

Rust? no rust? No body/uniframe damage?

Buy it.

Even if you need it, a new transmission will run you maybe a few hundred, if you have mechanical skill you can do a clutch/seal rebuild for like $250 on an AW-4.

99 is the best year of the new-generation body design, too.

I would buy it just off what you mentioned without even seeing it. I pay that much for non-running 99's and part them out for that much. Jump on it.

I recently purchased a 99 sport 2-dr for $800 but knew going in that it need a windsheild, both front hubs and Interior Deeeeep cleaning so I know where you are coming from. One thing to look at on a 99; does it have a distributor or is it coil pack ignition?

99 was the change over year and the early distributor equipped ones have the "good" head where as the later coil pack models have the head that's prone to cracking. That being said I would not let that stop me from buying it. Just be aware that it may have the issues in the future if it doesn't already.

Yuck. Don't buy that. Where are you located again?? LOL. '99 is considered by many to be the best year. I'd buy it in a heart beat. The coil on plug comment isn't necessarily true. I looked at another 99 before the one I bought and it had the 0331 head and a distributor setup. Look on the head on the drivers side right below the valve cover lip about half way down the head for a series of numbers. 0630=good, 0331=not so good. '99 also had the HP front, better flowing intake, and a few other goodies I'm forgetting. Buy it up!

Last edited:
The '99 is so good I bought two.

Even if the Jeep needs work, it sounds like a good deal. Did you say this was an SE, Sport, Classic?

Buy it, build it, wheel it, fix it.

Back