• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 input shaft difference of 0.170" ???

taylorworld

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have searched and searched. i have a 1994 XJ 4.0L, AW4, 231. that transfer case is shot and im trying to replace it. i bought a 1996 XJ 231 with the 1997 up style output shaft to replace it. im going to put a SYE in it. BUT, the input shafts are different lengths. from the mating surface of the tranfer case to the end of the input shaft measures 1.195" for the 1994 model and 1.365" for the 1996 model. does the 0.170" diffence matter? are the newer 1997+ AW4 transmissions and transmission output shaft a little different to accept this? i put some grears on the shafts and put the new tranfer case on to measure how far in it goes on the splines and its VERY close to hitting the non splined part of the transmission output shaft. has anybody put a 1997+ 231 on a 1994 or older?

I'm actually in the same boat as you right now, putting a 2000 case in my '94 and ran into the same problem. There doesn't seem to be any clearance issues as the tcase fully seated against the trans, And there seems to enough clearance in the trans output, but I haven't driven it yet so can't say 100% if it's a go. Hoping someone may have a legit answer for this but I'll know either way in the next week or so.

ya they bolt up just fine but i dont know if the shafts are putting pressure on the bearings or not. im going to have to try a different way of measuring them when they are mated together. but keep me up to date on yours! i think im going to go ahead and order the SYE and see how it goes too. but id still liek to know for sure if anybody else has done this or if the AW4 transmissioned changed any over the years

that novak site does not tell if they will bolt up to each other and work. ive asked this question on some other forums and they all think it answers it also but it does not. the question is.

will a 1.34"(0.84") stickout transfer case shaft work in an older transmission that had a 1.7"(0.75") stickout transfer case shaft?

i know some of you have had to use a 241RO case in an older jeep and its the 0.84" stickout. i think that it should work but i want to know for sure before i tear up a transmission and transfer case.

Back