• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Puddle of water in the cab, done everything I can think of.. stumped.

I frequently get water in cab, drivers side floor below the pedals. I have searched and done everything I can think of. I have replaced the door seal, window weather stripping, sliconed the vent window up, checked for leaks from the windshield. The only thing I havent done is remove the roof rack and try sealing it up. I get more water in the cab when the front of the Jeep if facing downhill than up. I cant figure it out, where is the water comming from......

Take the cover off the cowl where the wipers attach. Look inside. The drain holes in there could be clogged with junk or maybe even rusted through. Also, many XJ's develop rust spots directly above the front doors at the very front of the rain gutter. Does yours have a hole there? That would explain why it gets worse when facing down hill, all the water flows down the rain gutter.

Also, I had a 90 XJ that had the same problem. I finally found the problem right before I sold it. The water would run down the cracks between the door and the body and leak in around the rubber gromet that covers the wires for the door accessories. It would get in behind the kicker panel and leak out onto the floor.

Just my 2 cents.
Hope that helps.
Brian

Last edited:
twisted_ed said:
I frequently get water in cab, drivers side floor below the pedals.

I used to have this problem on my 2001; annoyingly, it would do it even in light rain or after going through a car wash. There's a grommet in the firewall above the brake pedal that wasn't seating down properly. A bead of silicone sealant fixed that particular issue.

Now, the leak onto the passenger side in the 2000 seems to be coming from the antenna seal - water gets in under it, runs down the antenna cable, and puddles in the footwell, but that's another story.

I too get water in my cab. I drips down and right onto the fuse box - which probably isn't good. It comes in through the cowl and I'm trying to figure out how to get it stopped. Is yours dripping onto your fuse box?

Wow, this is very timely. I just tracked down a weird smell in my XJ to...wet carpet! I haven't been able to narrow down where the water's coming from yet, though I suspect the hole I just drilled in my firewall to make room for the power wire for my amp. I put a rubber gromet around it, but it's not water tight, so I'm suspecting that's where it's coming from...though Dad disagrees.

I had the same problem on the passenger side, was a leak in the lower corner of the windshield. Turned out that there was rust building up in the window channel that wasn't taken care of previously. It forced the sealant away and allowed water in. It also cracked my windshield believe it or not.

fortunetly I only have half a carpet if that... cause sure would stink. I will check the gutters and what not, I dont beleive its comming down the pedals or fusebox since there is no evidence of wetness. I do know of one little damp spot, it happens in the center of the door jam behind the wiring harness, directly below where the two pats of the door seal join. I figured it was the seal right there, replaced it and still leaks even with tons of goo holding the seal in place and the seams together.

i have an 87 and mine had water RUNNING into the cab from around the fuse block I never could tell where it was coming from so I ripped out the interior and systamatical ran a garden hose over each suspected spot then checked for water leaks. the last place I would have thought it to be was the fuse block, check it

Back