• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9"

csudman

NAXJA Forum User
Me and a buddy got a line on a couple 9" rear ends. One for my xj and one for his yj. Couple of ques. and opinons. How can you tell if its a big bearing axle, 31 spline. Can you do 33 spline without any changes, assuming you have the 31 spline axle allready. Get a detroit? or spool? Whats the cheapest disk brake conversion. Is their such a thing as a cheap ff conversion. I've searched my asshat off and found nothing.
Thanks

Oh yeah thier only costing us 100 ea. drum to drum and hes got a big smelly
pile to chose from.

Last edited:
csudman said:
...Whats the cheapest disk brake conversion. Is their such a thing as a cheap ff conversion. I've searched my asshat off and found nothing.
Thanks

Must be you are not finding any 9" info that fits your budget because searching the net for 'Ford 9' turns up more results than 'Pamela Lee nude' does. ;)

There are a lot of 9" disc brake kits out there.

Go spool !! :cool:

Look at the studs for the backing plate the big bearing 31 spline has the bigger 1/2" studs, it's real common truck axle. Also it looks like there are 2 styles of housings, I'd look for the bigger more oval of the two. The narrower width big bearing 31 spline axle is harder to find, it came behind big block Ford cars in the 60's & 70's I believe it's about 62" wms to wms.

For brakes I've been collecting Eldo rear calipers and I'm planning on AA mfg. weld on brackets (15.00) w/CJ 7, 5 on 51/2" rotors.

Tons of options on the axles spool locker etc.

Go to my local pick and pull and get cadillac eldorado calipers would they have a gm rearend? Ether way, rear I aussme? and CJ7 rotors, front I am assuming. Use the weld on bracket and bolt the whole thing together. Right? Sounds simple enough. Know of any install wirte ups?

A few things I'll add on my knowledge of the 9 inch.

The axle flange studs do not determine whether it's big bearing or small bearing. Big bearings came with both the 1/2" AND 3/8" T-bolt flanges. The smaller 3/8" were more common in the 80's years on truck applications. I don't know about earlier model year car applications.

Determing big bearing or small is best done with a caliper at the wheel bearing. Big bearings were very common in the F-150 applications.

As to running a 33 spline...
You can run a 33 spline with the OEM third member BUT your only option on carriers is a full spool.
Something to consider too; if you already have a 31 spline shaft, why spend the additional $350 for new shafts and wheel bearings and another $150 for a new spool??? 31 spline shafts in a Cherokee are still an extremely stout shaft size for nearly all kinds of wheeling.
I ran 31 splines with 38's in a Scrambler for years behind 100:1 gearing and a V8. 31 spline 9 inch axles are likely plenty strong for your application.

As to discs: the Eldo calipers are not cheap. Typically they will run around $150 ea rebuilt. There are cheaper options out there including running a front brake caliper, but this will mean no E-brake. Explorer rear discs are also a good one to consider. They have the e-brake and the rotors are 5 on 4.5". There are several caliper brackets available on the market but making your own is not too difficult.

Bolt pattern is something you need to consider. Ford trucks have the 5 on 5.5". You can have the axle flanges (and drums/rotors) re-drilled and press in new studs to convert it to a 5 on 4.5" pattern.

There is no reason to go full floating in my opinion.
Detroit or spool is a matter of preference. I've run both in 9's. No doubt the spool wears tires faster on the street.

Width also needs to be considered. Very, very few, if any, of the narrower car housings have the stronger "heavy duty" housing. Most all narrower applications had the "banjo" housing; including vintage Broncs. The heavy housing is much stronger but would be wider than your front axle. The banjo housing could also be reinforced and trussed to increase it's strength.

I would just add too that cheap 9 inches are plentiful out there. If you desire to stay cheap you need to find one that best fits your needs with the least amount of modification; gears, bolt pattern, width etc. When you start building up a 9 inch with new shafts, rear discs, etc; it is no longer a cheap axle and you would probably be saving money going with an Explorer 8.8 which already matches the XJ/YJ width and has discs.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Ford 9"

Fore Wheeler said:
he means FULL spool.

I'm running a 31 spline 9" and had a mini spool, I broke the mini and twisted both shafts, so it can be done.

Now I have the full spool.

Pish posh
A mini spool will hold up to a lot. Your problem stemmed from lack of intelligence, heavy foot, BO, and gravity! :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ford 9"

Vug said:
Pish posh
A mini spool will hold up to a lot. Your problem stemmed from lack of intelligence, heavy foot, BO, and gravity! :D

Yea, but Vug wheels like a little girl, so yea, a mini will hold up if you wheel like a puss/Vug.

Oh sh!t, I forgot, Vug doesn't wheel anymore - YA LOOSER!!!!!!

I was gettin-it when I broke, and the BO didn't have that much to do with it anyhow, so bite me! :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ford 9"

Fore Wheeler said:
Yea, but Vug wheels like a little girl, so yea, a mini will hold up if you wheel like a puss/Vug.

Oh sh!t, I forgot, Vug doesn't wheel anymore - YA LOOSER!!!!!!

I was gettin-it when I broke, and the BO didn't have that much to do with it anyhow, so bite me! :D

I only mall wheel now. I got hung up on a nasty section of speed bump last time out and had to get winched off by a AWD mini-van. That's enough excitment for one year.

:flipoff:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ford 9"

Vug said:
I only mall wheel now. I got hung up on a nasty section of speed bump last time out and had to get winched off by a AWD mini-van. That's enough excitment for one year.

:flipoff:

What'd I tell ya, he's a puss

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ford 9"

Fore Wheeler said:
What'd I tell ya, he's a puss

name calling willl NOT get your invited to the house warming pig roast

I'm also switching to a Ford 9 and Dan is my R&D dept. I am changing my plan as we go because he keeps breaking stuff.

A buddy of mine just did the AA weld on brackets on his Bronco and told me he used Chevy truck front brake calipers with D44 rotors but there was a little custom machining to do to the axle flange and the rotor hub. I will be stopping by there to check it out this week sometime.

Hey Fore Breaker :moon:

TRL WGN 1 said:
Can't you two play nice?

We played nice at the mud run last weekend. I love watching rednecks beat their equipment.

I'm not going this year. I may go again next year. You gonna be there?

Back