• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 question?

muddyxj84

NAXJA Forum User
so my roommate got me a 8.25 carrier with trac lock for free from work. its out of a 2005 liberty and the spiders are bad. i was wondering if i could put this carrier in my 96 xj? i would of course have to get the spiders replaced as well as new bearings. now i would have to prolly have to get axle shafts out of a newer xj cuz the carrier is 29 spline. im not sure but i assume that i have 27 spline now. thanks all.

If you do, get a shim set (you'll only need to reset the carrier shims, so I think you may just be able to move shims from one end to the other, YMMV) and make sure you check the gear pattern before you put the new carrier in so you can duplicate it on the new carrier.

thanks for the help. i wont be doin this till the floor is replaced and sye is installed. it was nice freebie that i want to make work.

... I am an idiot

an 8.25 uses carrier bearing adjusters, not shims. You should be fine, just take a gear pattern first and set it the same after. Just remembered this.

Set the backlash at 6-10 thousandths and all will be good. There is little you can do about the gear pattern from the carrier adjustment. You will need the 8.25 adjuster cup tool to do this properly. I would use new ring gear bolts and red locktight the bolts in.

Ring gear bolt torque is 55 ftlbs
Carrier bearing cap bolts are set at 60 ftlbs(keep the caps with the side they come off of or the threads will not mesh for the adjusters)

im goin to check how much parts are for the trac lock. i'll have to get 29 spline shafts so if it is too much for trac lock then i'll just get a aussie. im putting an aussie in the front once my other problems are fixed.

im goin to check how much parts are for the trac lock. i'll have to get 29 spline shafts so if it is too much for trac lock then i'll just get a aussie. im putting an aussie in the front once my other problems are fixed.
If your 8.25 is a 27 spline you will need a carrier from a 29 spline to use an Aussie.

Back