• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory radio interchange

FBNEMO

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a factory AM/FM/Cassette radio for 89 comanche. Mine died and since dash is apart, time to get some tunes.
What later year radios are compatible for "plug -n- play" installation where my factory harness will work?

Thanks!

I'm almost certain anything up to a 96 will be 100% compatible. I know a 90 and a 91 have the same connector and pinout as a 96, but I'm not sure about an 89 (since 88-90 is mostly the same, my bet is yes it'll work)

If you want to do an aftermarket install, you can rip the old broken radio apart and pull the harness connector out of it, then use that plus a pigtail for the aftermarket radio to build an adapter, that's what I did for my friend's 91 MJ and my 96 XJ. The usage of each wire is conveniently printed in white ink on the back of the PCB the connector is soldered to.

I would go aftermarket simply because for just a few bucks you get a unit that is lightyears away from that old factory junk that quit on ya. You can pick up a Pioneer brand unit at wal-mart for fairly inexpensive. But be for warned coming from a car audio technician (me) if you buy one of the new radios that they sell for less than $100 that wasn't on sale or something, you will get what you pay for which isn't much. Stay away from the Sony xplode units they are junk. Also you don't need to destroy the old radio to get the factory connector to plug into the factory wiring thats really unnecessary when you can buy a wiring harness that has the factory connectors and plenty of wires perfectly labeled and color coded to splice to the new radio's wiring harness. You can pick one of these up for anywhere from $12 to $17 dollars.

The old radio is broken, so I figured he wouldn't mind tearing it apart and saving a few bucks. Otherwise I would have suggested exactly the same as you did :cheers:

Personally I'd aim for any aftermarket that has a CD player and/or a port for an audio cable or ipod/other mp3 player. Who actually has audio tapes still?

50 bucks? They're smoking something.

How many of you remember the 4-track players?

I'm almost certain anything up to a 96 will be 100% compatible. I know a 90 and a 91 have the same connector and pinout as a 96, but I'm not sure about an 89 (since 88-90 is mostly the same, my bet is yes it'll work)

FYI- Got a FREEBIE radio from 91 XJ. Same style radio. Model no. 56002467.
Thanks for everyone's help!

How many of you remember the 4-track players?

Installed a Muntz 4-track into my 1960 Corvair (passed down from mother) in 1969. Learned that drilling into metal with a small diameter drill bit should be best done while one is wearing safety glasses. No permanent damage, but I still have a red spot where the broken bit flew into my eye.

Funny story... 6 months later, the 4-track get stolen. Go to AAA and file a claim. 4-track only units were no longer being manufactured, so the insurance company upgrades me to a 4/8-track Muntz player. Covers the entire cost including installation. No deductible.

awesome, glad I'm not the only classical+metal fan on here...

I have a ham radio in my XJ and a CD deck in my MJ, so XJ driving is music-less and MJ driving is all Static-X :firedevil

EDIT: Andy - yeah, angle grinder usage gets safety glasses now too :shocked:

wow.....stock tapedeck. mine didn't even come with the stock tapedeck when i got it, and i still deemed the jvc cd deck that came in it so crappy it needed to be replaced. stock deck and even worse stock speakers would be torture to my ears:)

Speaking of 8 tracks, I even had my OWN 8-track recorder in the early 70's. Either I could record from turntable or make my own stuff with the two- hand held microphones. After a few beers, anything/everything was funny.
Amazing what we did to entertain ourselves before computers. LMAO

Back