• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie rear locker owners

KingCopa

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for info on running a rear Aussie locker on a daily driver. I have done searches and I am looking to get info from actual owners who use them on their daily driver or used on the street often. What I'm looking to find out is the effects on tire wear. I won't be doing any crazy wheeling maybe 3.5 to 4 trails but can't afford to put tires on it a lot if its gonna eat up the tires. I understand how it works and what the website says about it but it can't be as good as stock compared to tire wear and want to hear from actual users thanks !

I've had one in my 8.25 for a year.

-It's loud in corners, but manageable.
-Sometimes is pops, and sounds like you broke an axle.
-It's great for dirt, rocks, sand. 2wd is actually usable on moderate trails.
-It's totally manageable on the street.
-I've got mtrs with 10,000 miles, and they have about 80 percent tread. All with the aussie.
-Tire rotation is much more important, because the tires take a little bit of beating.

I love it, and it allows me to go way further.

Last edited:
I had one in my 44 for a couple years.

It was noticeable, but I wouldn't call it loud.
It was great for dirt, rocks, sand and snow.
It was totally manageable on the street. I would let off, and coast around the corners. If you hammered the gas in a corner, you could easily accelerate tire wear. If you allow it to ratchet by letting off the gas around corners, there is no extra tire wear.
I had 35 BFG MTs, put thousands of miles on them, and was very happy with the wear.
I loved the Aussie as well.

i have one in my 8.25

just don't gas corners and you"ll have no problems
a little noisy but i mean you have a jeep
i have 33 mtz's and haven't noticed any added wear from the locker

i got a 8.25 aussie, had it since may and have 10k on it, i have aw4 stock gears and 33" mtr's it is my dd, no niticeable tire were and besides the racheting sounds i dont notice its there, ive also let my mom drive the jeep a few times and she never complaned about it

With some driving skills you generally don't need lockers for 3.5 trails unless maybe they're really wet. Not trying to talk you out of it just sayin' because there are some advantages to staying open like more stability on packed snow and ice.

i dont drive mine on the street much but from what i have i will tell you that if you have a 5 spd your gonna hafta change your driving habits to puch in the clutch on slow corners and in parking lots doing tight turns its gonna load and unload and make a bunch of obnoxious noises

but i love mine and will reccomend that you get it

Thanks guys for all the info and this is exactly what I was looking to find out. I know I won't have to worry bout snow or ice since I'm in Phoenix, I do however have a 5 speed so that is something else I will have to concider. I just got my front Aussie locker today and am concidering the rear locker and would try harder trails just wont risk body damage, I just got the jeep a few weeks ago and its a little to nice to be smashin in to rocks .

I ran an Aussie on a DD. No tire wear issues, but on rainy slick days you had to baby it on freeway on ramps or it would lock in and spin you the wrong way. it performed with excellence off-road and on-road, and I would do it again, except that I have now moved to an ARB which allows me to switch it off.

Not to thread jack but there's something I've been wondering(also considering an aussie for my 8.25). Recently I've had problems spinning one wheel on rainy pavement(open diff.). I swear I hardly give it any gas and if I'm making a tight turn one wheel just likes to spin and I go no where. An aussie in the back would lock my wheels and eliminate that problem all together right?

ditto the above - mine's loud, and I wouldn't call it invisible on the pavement, but you get used to it. It is great off-road, and I haven't noticed any adverse tire wear issues.:cheers:

Not to thread jack but there's something I've been wondering(also considering an aussie for my 8.25). Recently I've had problems spinning one wheel on rainy pavement(open diff.). I swear I hardly give it any gas and if I'm making a tight turn one wheel just likes to spin and I go no where. An aussie in the back would lock my wheels and eliminate that problem all together right?

Check to see if there is something limiting the axle drop eg; a raised suspension with the EOM length shocks. An 8.25 axle wth open diff made me look like a wuss trying to move up hill from a stop light with snow on the ground. I had to reach down and grab the 4WD handle.

one thing i noticed about mine, is on the highway it makes the handling a little strange. When your in the gas holding a steedy speed like at 75 the jeeps handleing feels tight (the loker is locked). Once you take your foot of the gas the Handleing gets loose. (the locker unlocks). is just an odd feeling you have to get used to but the first time at 75 or 80 its not cool. Other than that i've noticed everything thats already been talked about.

oh 30" tire 2.5" lift, 1998

Check to see if there is something limiting the axle drop eg; a raised suspension with the EOM length shocks. An 8.25 axle wth open diff made me look like a wuss trying to move up hill from a stop light with snow on the ground. I had to reach down and grab the 4WD handle.

Everything is stock, new shock actually and good tires. I just figured the open differential was at fault but I'll look more into it now ha.

I ran an automatic locker in the rear of my 5 speed xj for years. Tire wear wasn't bad, I just didn't like the handling characteristics. I'd do an auto locker with an auto trans on a dd again, but probably not with a 5-speed. Not super bad handling, but just enough to be annoying at times.

I run Aussies in the front and rear of my '99 DD. I run 33's on 4.5" of lift with a HP D30 and D44. I've broken D44 rear Yukon Discovery shafts, both sides, right at the locker and never had a problem with it. It's a little clicky sounding but it goes away as all the other creaks and moans take over. I actually like driving in the rain. It'll get squirrely with ya on sharp turns, but that's the fun part. ;)

Well I got my Aussie front locker installed and I think I'm gonna run it with just a front locker for a while since I got a 5 speed. I did notice that the front locker makes a squelling sound when in 4wd. I'm assuming this will go away as it breaks in

Back