• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water pump removal

TRANTHAM

NAXJA Forum User
My water pump is broken for sure it leaks like crazy and makes a gnarley sound. So I bought a new one. Well the belt is still on and I'm trying to take off the pulley thats connected to the pump but it just spins ( the belt is still on I was dumb and tried it with the belt off and it spun so I put it back on) HOW DO I GET THIS GUY OFF??

What year? What engine? I have an 85 it does not have a serpentine belt. So i'm not sure if I can help or not???? I know when I changed mine I loosened and removed the belt. It's been a while but i also think I had to remove the fan shroud as well.

put a wrench on one of the bolts opposite the one you are trying to loosen. When you have 3 loosened, back them out a little and wedge a screwdriver between two of them to get the last one....don't back them out enough that the screwdriver bends or breaks out the loosened bolts.

put a wrench on one of the bolts opposite the one you are trying to loosen. When you have 3 loosened, back them out a little and wedge a screwdriver between two of them to get the last one....don't back them out enough that the screwdriver bends or breaks out the loosened bolts.

x2 about the easiest way ive found :thumbup:

OP, something that I've done in the past is just over-tightening the belt and using the extra stress to get the bolts out. Another few helpful tips for water pumps (i've done three).
1. your life will be a lot easier if you take the idler pulley off before you try and actually remove the water pump
2. you'll have to re-use the pipe that comes out of the pump. when you are putting this back in the new pump, WRAP THE THREADS IN SILICONE PLUMBING TAPE!!! Trust me, it will leak if you don't.
3. put a conservative amount of permatex on the seal that comes with the pump, this will help you guarantee a decent seal.

like i said, i've done several of these, feel free to PM with any further questions.

OP, something that I've done in the past is just over-tightening the belt and using the extra stress to get the bolts out. Another few helpful tips for water pumps (i've done three).
1. your life will be a lot easier if you take the idler pulley off before you try and actually remove the water pump
2. you'll have to re-use the pipe that comes out of the pump. when you are putting this back in the new pump, WRAP THE THREADS IN SILICONE PLUMBING TAPE!!! Trust me, it will leak if you don't.
3. put a conservative amount of permatex on the seal that comes with the pump, this will help you guarantee a decent seal.

like i said, i've done several of these, feel free to PM with any further questions.

For the heater return pipe that gets re-used, I just bought a new one. There was no way I was getting my old one off plus it was rusty. The dealer got me a new one for I think around 10 bucks. The new one had what looked like red loctite on it. Unless that is instead some sort of sealant and not a thread locker?

Back