• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Napa Power Steering pumps

mhopton

NAXJA Forum User
Any problem with them?

Two different shops have come to the same conclusion that my steering problems are derived from a bad PS pump that is no longer building pressure causing a return to center, oversteer problem. All alignment, bushings, ball-joints, tie-rod ends, trackbar are in spec along with tires and inflation on a stock, DD, 4x4.

The two shops have both driven the jeep and noted that the return to center problem is caused by having to continually oversteer, or correct your position - like trying to keep a boat going in a straight line on the water, and that it is caused by the PS pump not building pressure. One even took the high-pressure line off the top of the pump with the engine running and barely any fluid was coming out.

Unbelievably, they quoted me $270 at one place and $395 at the other to replace the pump. A Napa repair center quoted me 90 for their part and $295 for labor!!! WTF? I can do it myself, I just wanted to know how much I would be saving!!:D

So, thoughts on the Napa reman PS Pump?

thanks,
Mike

I use them. Not had any problems except when I replaced the stocker(the bearings went out) I didn't flush the system. Had metal shavings & such in the lines & the replacement went out within 6 months. NAPA replaced it with no questions asked. JIM.

Can you elaborate on your return to center problem? How severe is it-do you to manually counter steer all the way back to center, or does the wheel just need a bit of help at the very end?

I ask because my Jeep has a similar issue. It will return part of the way to center, but I always have to turn it the last 3-6".

According to two shops, my front end is fine (although I think my LCA bushings are marginal) so I wonder if my pump is also bad.

Becareful with the tank. I got one that had the nipple on the tank glued in place. It came off when I tried to remove the hose. Don't accept that one. Pick one that has the nipple as part of the tank. They vary from box to box. Replaced three so far in the last 6 months, all different jeeps.

Good advice on the tank. I'll check when I pick one up.

My return to center issue doesn't sound like what you're experiencing. My PS pump is not generating any pressure and I continually have to oversteer to make corrections for movement in the lane. It's really hard to describe and it took a while for both shops to independantly come to the same conclusion. I initially thought my LCA bushings were potentially bad and that I needed additional caster; however, they've both convinced me that is not the case and that they're fine.

So, really it is kind of like wandering but more like it follows the grooves in the pavement. There is no, Zero freeplay in the steering wheel, which leads to continually having to make small corrections to stay straight. Any input at the wheel, or from the street causes the truck to drift/wander. They also went after the steering box, but ultimately determined that it was the PS pump putting out almost 0 pressure.

BTW, anyone know what psi the pump should put out? The tech was exagerrating to make his point, I'm sure, when he said it should be pumping 1,000psi. I know he was trying to make a point but I don't know how much the high-pressure line should be generating.

FSM says 1400 PSI. They also do NOT list low pressure as a possible cause of your symptoms. More like "high friction in steering gear" and "ball joits binding". I don't buy the PS pump. Is the steering wheel VERY hard to turn?

I put a Murray's rebuilt on my Crown Vic and it is fine.

Turns out one, or the other were bad - not sure which. So, I replaced both and it steers great now. It's still a SFA, but it tracks straight and no longer drifts/wanders at hwy speeds.

Back