• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it possible to use no sye?

chris y

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 87 xj with auto and 231 with dana 44 rear it is lifted about 8 inchs,,yea i knoe,,and has a 1 1/2 transfer case drop and iron man rear adjustable rear shackles there raised about 2 inchs what im getting at is i have been to 45 mph with no vibrations,,the driveline looks like tha angle isnt bad because the way its turned by adjustables and i have plenty yoke in trans case is that angle possible to make no need for a sye??i havent been over 45 but looks good..thanks..

I would put it at the top of the list. you may get away with it for a while. Did you buy it liffted, maybe you dont feel the vibrations that its causing becasue it came that way. Also if you flex out the rear to much you run the risk of the drive shaft falling out and the t case dumping its fluid. And you will probably go thru u joints faster.

It is possible to go without the SYE, but not recommended. I only have a 6 inch lift (with adjustable shackles) and never got vibrations until about 60 mph. I went with the hack-n-tap SYE kit and no longer have the vibrations. If you haven't lengthened your driveshaft with 8 inches of lift, I doubt it will stay in the t-case at full droop.

At 8 inches you need a SYE. Its just gotta happen. Why spend all that money on the jeep and not spend an extra 500 on a quality SYE and Rear shaft?

45 is not enough. unless you dont plan to go faster than that. i got vibes at 60-65. youll want a sye, why pay money to lengthen a stock rear ds when that could be a 100$ towards a porc kit (159$) and a stock front ds(usallu 30$ at pnp or free from a buddy)
and the install for a first timer is only a few hours . dont be afarid to pull that case. if you were savvy enough to think 8" of lift is a fine idea then you should be savvy enough to know that a stock ds and no sye isnt a good idea. i couldnt imagine a stock ds on 8" but id be afraid of that thing falling out...

You can get away with it. My friends running a tall 8" lift with a stock rear drive line. He had to grind out the cardian joint to gain a little clearence for flex. He didnt have vibrations untill about 75. It does stress u-joints a lot more, but carry spares. I would still recommend a sye, but can you do it.... hell ya!

I am at 5" of lift, with 1" T-case drop.. No driveline vibes, The jeep shakes slightly at about 105mph.. heh..

The reason i ask is like i said theres not much angle on rear shaft and when it sits the shaft is all way in trans case i mean all way in is there an estimated angle thats ideal for the shaft? and i dont think i would want to go over 60 or 65 its on 35,s..

Why skimp? With that much lift, it's definitely necessary. You'll be killing u-joints all the time and eventually might pull the shaft out of the Tcase. Plus you are losing ground clearance with a 1.5" transfer case drop. Get an SYE and you can raise the Tcase up from stock.

You could get a rear DS from a 4 popper and cut it to the proper length. I ran a 2wd auto 4 popper shaft with my 84 adn 6" of lift for 5 years and never had a problem with vides. The shaft was so long it got destroyed several times a year though! LOL!

Why do it wrong when you can do it right for fairly cheap?

$20 for a shaft from the JY (stock auto front, stock V8 ZJ front, or stock TJ front depending on how long you need, there are a few others, google for J321-CV and look at the dana catalog for something about the length you need with 1310 U-joints)
$80 for a 3103-27CV yoke from drive-line.com
$20 for a tap, drills, cutting wheel or two, and grade 8 bolts and washers from your favorite home improvement store
throw some shims in or cut, turn, and re-weld perches for 1-2 degree pinion angle (below driveshaft)

... done.

Also, silly offtopic question, why do you use two of every punctuation mark and never put a space after them?

The reason i ask is like i said theres not much angle on rear shaft and when it sits the shaft is all way in trans case i mean all way in is there an estimated angle thats ideal for the shaft? and i dont think i would want to go over 60 or 65 its on 35,s..

A certain Blue 01 XJ driving guy I know said his did pretty good at 105! He's on 35's!

i have an 01 xj and im about to lift it 4 inches within the next month but cash is a little tight right now i was just wondering how long i can go without an sye befor i break something andi will beputting one on but it will be a little after i lift it

i have an 01 xj and im about to lift it 4 inches within the next month but cash is a little tight right now i was just wondering how long i can go without an sye befor i break something andi will beputting one on but it will be a little after i lift it

You could try a T-case drop but it really just depends on the Jeep.

the only problem with a tcase drop is ive heard tht it messes up all the linkage and makes it difficult to shift into 4wd

Makes your front driveshaft CV joint angle worse, too. And if your engine mounts are marginal, if something goes wrong it can push your fan into the radiator... a tcase drop is a bandaid, which is sad because they're so cheap.

wud it work for temp use tho cause im goin to get a hnt sye with a front ds within 3 months of the lift i just need something to get by with

the only problem with a tcase drop is ive heard tht it messes up all the linkage and makes it difficult to shift into 4wd

Mine works fine. It looks to be a 3/4 to 1" drop.

Makes your front driveshaft CV joint angle worse, too. And if your engine mounts are marginal, if something goes wrong it can push your fan into the radiator... a tcase drop is a bandaid, which is sad because they're so cheap.

Yeah its not Ideal by any means but I will get by with mine for a while.

Ok so the talk is about pulling the driveshaft out but could you not jack it up on jack stands and let the rear hang and if shaft is still in t case all way how could it possibly ever come out when its flexed? I can understand the u joint issues though

Back