• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Booster Hiss condional on pedal postion

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
My brake booster leaks.. but only at about 80% pedal pressure (80% of how hard I can push) At idle, in park, I can push the pedal to the spot where it hisses, and I can hear my idle go up. If I kill the jeep, and pull the vacuum connector out of the booster there is still vacuum pulling on it. I took the master cylinder off, and pulled the rod out and the seal.. there was still plenty of grease it on from the factory, I cleaned both and greased the mess out of both. It didn't make any difference, I'm guessing that the leak must be in the actual diaphragm maybe a small tear and it seals it's self in a fold or something most of the time...

A reman one is $79... the one on my parts jeep is free.. so I'll probably go that route its just a toss up how long it will last.

I read that several times and couldn't see a question in your post.

My front tires are getting kind of low on tread, I'll probably replace them some day.

:)

My 94 does the same thing. Figure if it totally dies, I will still have braking (albeit non vac assist) and will deal with it then. Just plan ahead, and only use 79% braking or less. ;P

My 94 does the same thing. Figure if it totally dies, I will still have braking (albeit non vac assist) and will deal with it then. Just plan ahead, and only use 79% braking or less. ;P

hah ok, I guess I'll pull the one off my parts jeep eventually.. maybe there is also a seal where the arm is that connects to the pedal? May be that's where the leak is.

get a master cylinder and brake booster out of a 95/96 or a grand cherokee, they're way stronger anyways and not as old so they aren't as likely to be blown. Search for "booster swap inurl:naxja.org" on Google and look under "more results", a few good threads are in there.

Back