• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disturbing Wobble on Highway

SFW516

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I got a 90 XJ all stock besides an RE 4.5inch lift. I have dropped the T-case just about a half inch and I don't have any shims right now. I don't have any vibrations to speak of, maybe very slight on accelertation. Also I don't have my front swaybar connected, I need to get some disconnects.

So here is what happened, doing about 65MPH on the freeway and I think a hit a bit of a bump in the road. Well the whole Jeep started to wobble very violently, so much so all I could do was slow down and pull over to the side.

I have heard people talk about the "death wobble" not sure if this was it but it was sure violent. It felt like it was originating in the front end.

So after I pulled over I had a quick look at everything and nothing was obviously wrong, so I took off and didn't have any more problems, its been about a week and still haven't had anything like it happen. All I could find wrong was the trackbar was a bit loose. I have been tightening it and it keeps loosening, should probably get some locktite on it (will the red stuff work ok for this?).

So any help with this would be great, I don't know where to look. I am planning on changing the driveshaft to a beefier CV type and a SYE when I get the money together.

That'd be death wobble for sure!

Check your bushings, especially on the track bar, make sure all your TREs and such are tight, tighten the frame end of your track bar bracket, etc etc... hopefully that helps.

Sometimes the steel bushing inside the rubber bushing at the axle end of the track bar can get crushed and then you can't keep it tight. Find a steel bushing with no seam and you will be able to keep it tight. Also check the frame rod end for wear.
I use Tom woods driveshafts but there are plenty of options out there. A hack and tap SYE works just fine and can save you some moola.

Back