• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lets see some raised rear shock mount designs!

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
I have been trying to figure out how to raise my rear shock mounts without making my rear storage area useless. Pretty much everything I have seen involves a whole bunch of tube mounted in the back of the truck. What have other people come up with?

Not quite what I am looking for, I am raising the lower shock mounts up so my shocks will be super short if I use the stock upper mounting location the shocks will be way to short. Those mounting systems don't really raise the shock mounts any higher.

I have been trying to figure out how to raise my rear shock mounts without making my rear storage area useless.

I am raising the lower shock mounts up so my shocks will be super short if I use the stock upper mounting location the shocks will be way to short. Those mounting systems don't really raise the shock mounts any higher.
You cant have it both ways!!

The crossover adapter maybe not RAISE them that much, vertically. But by running them closer to the center allows more travel, I'm guessing its made for people that DONT WANT TO CUT UP THEIR FLOORS.

Not quite what I am looking for, I am raising the lower shock mounts up so my shocks will be super short if I use the stock upper mounting location the shocks will be way to short. Those mounting systems don't really raise the shock mounts any higher.

OK, so what about all the 100's of XJ's before you who have raised the lower shock mount for better ground clearance and kept the stock upper mount and have well performing vehicles?

A better question might be what shock they all have used. Or, that you just have to measure and make extra sure you get exactly the right length shock for your height.

Last edited:
i did this

yes it goes into the cargo area. but the upper mounts are very much out of the way almost hugging the wheel wells

comancheandrearshocks002.jpg

comancheandrearshocks001.jpg

shocks are more effective the further outboarded they are.

MINEZ
scan2045.jpg

scan2046.jpg

this was my solution :http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1006386&highlight=shocks+floor it gives up some space, but it is still very functional.

i also agree with goatman, it can depend greatly on the shock being used, but also what it is going to be used for. definitely measure twice, buy shocks once.

Yeah, I meant to add that for articulation it isn't too difficult to get a shock the right length, so for trail riding it's not much of an issue. For serious pre-running desert stuff when a good long travel leaf pack is used, then it can be a different deal, but then also moving the shock mount up on the axle to gain better ground clearance isn't needed either.

The XJ rear shock is already mounted at an angle, so you get more than 9" of travel out of a 9" shock. It's just very critical to shop shock lengths and get the exact right shock, and have good bumpstops since you'll want to use all of the available shock travel.

OK, so what about all the 100's of XJ's before you who have raised the lower shock mount for better ground clearance and kept the stock upper mount and have well performing vehicles?

A better question might be what shock they all have used. Or, that you just have to measure and make extra sure you get exactly the right length shock for your height.
I was one of those 100 prior XJ's, I have done this and it was a compramise, I would either bottom the shocks out hard or over extend them. Sure it performed well but it wasn't right. I couldn't find a shock that had all the travel needed...

I know I have seen at least one Cherokee with shocks going through the back that actually looked really nice and didn't protrude that much.

These are good post's! Treks mounting was the idea I kind of had in mind, KTM racer yours looks great to. Yours was the one I was thinking of, you have any more pictures?

Back