• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 Build lotsa goodies, questions

crushtheogre

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone I'm building my 1st XJ and it's very cool. I've done a few CJs, a TJ, ZJ, WJ, and a few F350s.
2 very experienced friends of mine are doing most of the work as I'm out of commision for a while after some recent surgery but here's the build;

2001 4dr
newer 4.5L stroker engine(1993 YJ 4.0L HO block (125K miles on it, zero cylinder run out), pistons, head, stock cam for now
-1976 258/4.2L crank/rods (54K miles)
-new cap, rotor, plugs, wires
-all new gaskets and seals throughout
-new main and connecting rod bearings
-crankshaft spacer for the serpentine harmonic balancer
-new water pump (Advance Auto)
-new piston rings
-honed cylinders
-painted really fast lime green)

5.5" lift, gonna be all spring lift
33" AT BFG, I might do some 35" TRXUS or MTZs
Arb bumper(coming up from NJ) hopefully,
Warn 9500 winch
8.8 rear 4.10s w/locker
HP30 4.10s w/ LS front
Longarming the front
Sliders tied into unibody stiffeners
full roof safari rack
a couple Hella front lights
Skids? What should we protect and what's good?

I got a few questins for you guys, search didn't help much;
Can I use a old style header (91-98) on it? Is the connector between the s-pipe the only difference? Will the newer intake interfer? I know the newer exhaust manifolds are 2 piece and a real PIA!!!We're doing the whole exhaust at 2.5" Mandral bent.
Do I need a adj MAP sensor and 24lb injectors? The 4.5 came out of a YJ and ripped pretty hard in it. In this XJ with 3.55s and 33s it spins them at 40mph already!
I'll be adding a 62mm TB, spacer and big stupid cone intake filter.
Can 5.5" lift clear 35s with some aftermarket flares?

Do the 01s come with electric fans already or should I add it?

Thank you
Paul

"01's have elec aux fan and mechanical primary fan. Read about Taurus fans. You can use the older exhaust with a newer intake. Possibly a little grinding (not much).

I've done a lot of engine block inspection. For my educations, could you please explain "zero cylinder runout"?

My friend working on drove it last night, spun those narrow 33s easily w/ stock 3.55s. I have no reason to ever doubt his word. I'm actually not quite sure what the zero runout means. I didn't want to leave it out of the desciption. And no I'm not an idiot, I know what everything else is, lol.

We have some extended TJ flares that we're gonna fit after some trimming, I might stay w/ 33s, I can't see a huge advantage by going to 35s.

Without going higher than the 5.5" we already have it is tough even w/ trimming I think. Honestly this is mostly road driving, maybe 5% offroad and on sundays it will be one of the family vehicles especially for our little adventures in New England. The 1 inch of clearence is nice I know. My 99 superduty has 38s and 4" lift and I slide right under the differential as do many logs and rocks :)

Back