• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

limit straps tied to UCA mounts?

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Bad idea on the surface, but is it still a bad idea after thinking on it? Not that much stress unless the axle is pivoted fast. Once or twice enough to cause a rethink maybe. Thoughts? There are some places on the inner frame rails where they could be attached pretty simply.

Frankly, I don't see a need for limit straps unless you are doing fast desert driving where you will be getting air alot or some kind of wicked hill climb kind of stuff. Most quality shocks will adequately limit the travel of the axle without damage under most circimstances. That being said, if you want to install limit straps, I don't see any reason whay the upper control arm mounts are not a good place to attach them. You can attach the upper end to the frame rails fairly easily.

I'm sure the OP is thinking something along those lines, but you have to have a Ylink setup to use that kit.

I too have been thinking of where to mount some straps to the front end. I was thinking bolting the upper part of the strap to the "frame rail" next to the shock. As for the axle end I dont see why not using the upper CA mounts.

As for having a reason to use Limit Straps, I personally dont like the idea of my shocks being the limiting factor in the suspension travel. It puts too much stress on the shock bushings(wearing them out faster) and the piston of the shock is stretched to the max. I would rather spend $40 on straps than $100+ on new front shocks every 2 years or so.

The straps are 'really' only have to hold the weight of the axle if you droop it. Here's a question though, does the strap have to hold the stress of 'pulling' if you are to REALLY articulate the suspension in the front. What I mean is, if you stuff the RF tire well, then the LF would want to go the opposing way, is there any forces that want to push the LF away from the body?

I dont mean to Hi-jack this thread, but if you are asking about Limit strap locations, perhaps you might be asking yourself the same as I am.

Bad idea on the surface, but is it still a bad idea after thinking on it? Not that much stress unless the axle is pivoted fast. Once or twice enough to cause a rethink maybe. Thoughts? There are some places on the inner frame rails where they could be attached pretty simply.
We are talking about the axle end UCA mounts, correct?

I would think that that would be fine, unless you are going to be doing go fast dessert stuff and airing the Jeep out multiple times per minute.

Only issue I could see is the location of the mount in relation to the frame. The mount is a fair amount inboard from the frame rail, and if your axle swings down and away from the frame, that might be a pretty severe angle and possibly putting to much stress on the mounts.

The straps are 'really' only have to hold the weight of the axle if you droop it. Here's a question though, does the strap have to hold the stress of 'pulling' if you are to REALLY articulate the suspension in the front. What I mean is, if you stuff the RF tire well, then the LF would want to go the opposing way, is there any forces that want to push the LF away from the body?
That's my worry too. I think the bushing in the UCA will absorb most of the punishment, and keep the mount from tearing off the axle, but I'm sure somebody else had this idea before me and there is probably a reason that everybody else hasn't followed suit.

Back