• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE GROUND?

IT'S A NEGATIVE GROUND LIKE EVERY OTHER JEEP EVER MADE

I am very negative about the whole subject. Most all cars have been negative ground except for old British cars.

Agreed.

Thinking my FIL's Ford N9 tractor is 6 volt positive ground.

6 volt car systems used to be positive ground.

Ron
Until the manufacturers found that steel vehicles with a positive ground rust faster due to galvanic action. A positive ground vehicle can have a very short existence where roads are salted in winter.

If mass produced car unibody construction changes to nonferrous materials I reckon there may be a change back to positive ground. Telecoms equipment is often positive ground to avoid corrosion in the electrical components. In a nonferrous unibody it would be cheaper to regularly replace a passive electrical bus bar acting as a positive ground than a whole load of electical parts. If the vehicle has electric motors in each wheel and a lot of expensive electrical powertrain and regenerative braking, a negative ground would help preserve these components. This must be a dilemma for the designers of steel bodied electric powered vehicles.

All North American XJs are 12V Negitive ground. Most Jeeps and Cars made in the US using 6 volt systems were positive ground. Them's the facts.

Honestly, who actually gives a crap why. :twak:

This entire thread could have been avoided if the OP would have just looked under his hood. :scottm:

Just my take on this thread this morning ;)

Ron

1951 Plymouth, my first car, 6 volt negative ground.

Are you positive?
http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/135_0310_how_to_rewire_1951_plymouth/index.html

Every 6volt system I have seen on an American car (who gave a rats azz abut Beatles except hippies? :D ) was positive ground. That leaves a couple gazillion vehicles I haven't seen ;)

Meh, not a big deal, who knows, maybe ALL JEEPS were negitive ground after all ::)

ROFLMAO!!

Ron

You may be correct. I was not the first owner of that Plymouth, and the wiring was a mess and caught on fire under the dash one night.

I couldn't get that link to open up. I googled a little and got something interesting. I suspect that there were both positive and negative ground vehicle, even in USA.

A lot of the early Jeeps (WWII) were Ford built, but I suspect that early Jeeps were more like Hudson's. (Hudson, Studebaker, American Motors, etc.)

Re: 6 Volt headlights
Thanks for the link and the update information. Interesting this company sells both a positive ground and a negative ground choice of bulbs.

Since the 51 Ford and Mercury run a 6 volt positive ground system, I wonder if the sealed beams account for this. Sure would like to hear from others on the forum who have tried halogen sealed beams in stock 6 volt set ups.

Tracker
trackerView Public ProfileSend a private message to trackerFind all posts by tracker
post_old.gif
01-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Jon B
user_online.gif

Northern Virginia
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

icon1.gif
Re: 6 Volt headlights
My '37 is a Hudson, runs on 6 volt positive ground (AutoLite system). Again, I don't use the "pseudo sealed beam" setup, but rather the bulb that goes right into a socket on a silvered reflector, with a big ol' glass lens. But essentially the halogen bulb is the same in either version. And (until I blew them out) my halogens ran fine with pos. ground.

Back