• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with inspection...

88XJowner

NAXJA Forum User
Hello and thank you everyone for helping me solve my misfire issue...
Now I have another task thats I'm running out of time for. I need an inspection!!!! Dun Dun DUUUUUUUNNN!!!!

SO my 97 cherokee needs that dumb sticker that NJ is reluctant to put on older cars.. Mine had an AX-15 swap done about a year ago by someone else and now it's storing 4 codes but I pulled the bulb because I got sick of it. One code is P0743, torque converter clutch circuit malf. Another is P0705, trans range sensor circuit malf. (PRND input). P0753, shift solenoid "A" malf. And last is the lovely P01899 trans range sensor stuck in park or in gear. These are royally screwing me in terms of getting a sticker. Any help to fool the computer would be nice And yes I tried installing the auto computer and nothing changes. :badpc:

The old auto NSS is still connected to the engine harness and it won't start if I unplug it... Hmmm.

Last edited:
Hello and thank you everyone for helping me solve my misfire issue...
Now I have another task thats I'm running out of time for. I need an inspection!!!! Dun Dun DUUUUUUUNNN!!!!

SO my 97 cherokee needs that dumb sticker that NJ is reluctant to put on older cars.. Mine had an AX-15 swap done about a year ago by someone else and now it's got 3 auto trans codes but I pulled the bulb because I got sick of it. One code is the torque converter clutch solenoid malf. Another is the PRND range sensor malf. and last is the lovely P01899 trans range sensor stuck in park or in gear. These are royally screwing me in terms of getting a sticker. Any help to fool the computer would be nice And yes I tried installing the auto computer and nothing changes. :badpc:
Try installing the auto computer and putting a 5 watt, 47 ohm resistor from each solenoid wire to ground - ths should cost about ten or fifteen bucks in hardware from mouser.com/jameco/com/digikey.com. That should at least get rid of the solenoid malfunction codes; I suspect you can probably wire the pin for the NSS Drive position to the NSS return line to get rid of the PRND range sensor malfunction code and P01899 but I'm not sure.

You could also get the ECU from a manual 97 XJ if you can find one at the junkyard - read the writeup in the FAQ forum (the one right over this one) for more info. That'll likely cost around 50 dollars plus getting the mileage and VIN updated by someone - make sure you get one from a junker without the system sentry option.

Back